ACrossley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alishacrossleyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi friends,
I participated in a shoot with a fellow photographer over this past weekend who owned the 85 f/1.8 lens. I loved the "fuzzy" effect and lovely DOF from the lens. I am not the best number cruncher when it comes to lenses and my camera. I shoot with a 40D. Does anyone else have this setup who may can give me an opinion or sample shots of these together??

THANKS A TON!
Alisha

That lens will work great with your 40D. For a cheaper alternative, consider the 50mm F1.8. Its about $100 and will give the same DOF and "fuzzy" look you mention. You just have to move a little bit closer to your subject for the 50mm vs 85mm.

I have the 40D and 85mm F/1.8. And ... I just love the how the blur looks with the 85mm (I also have the 50mm F/1.8 mk1).

For a cheaper alternative, consider the 50mm F1.8. ... You just have to move a little bit closer to your subject for the 50mm vs 85mm.

Well... it's not a simple as that. It's a completely different angle of view and will show a lot more or the background.

Look for an 85mm... maybe used.... maybe third-party mfg.

Good luck!

-Pete

Did you get to personally try the 85 1.8? Or did you just see the other photographers images? I only ask because perhaps the other photographer was using a full frame camera. 85mm on the crop sensor makes for very tight indoor work. Also, if you did try the 85 and was happy with it, and ever think of considering the 50mm 1.8, just be warned that they are worlds apart. The 50 1.8 plain sucks in terms of autofocus, build, the out of focus highlights rendered are hideous, the mount is plastic, its loud.......and so forth. I have trouble finding enough room sometimes shooting with my 85L on full frame at events such as birthday parties. I would suggest looking at sample photos from both the 85 1.8 and the 50 1.4 (rather than the 50 1.8) and see what bodies they were taken on. If you have a kit lens or other zoom lens that covers both the 50mm and the 85mm range, I suggest walking around the house/outdoors stuck at those two focal lengths and see which is more appealing to you. Both will render a nice smooth out of focus background or "fuzziness".

For a cheaper alternative, consider the 50mm F1.8. ... You just have to move a little bit closer to your subject for the 50mm vs 85mm.

Well... it's not a simple as that. It's a completely different angle of view and will show a lot more or the background.

Look for an 85mm... maybe used.... maybe third-party mfg.

Good luck!

-Pete

Ummmmmm.. He said he liked the DOF and fuzzy look. That's F1.8. Period. That's the only reason I mentioned the 50mm as an alternative.

Thanks guys ...
I actually own the 50 1.8 ... It is ok for portrait work but it seems that the 85 had the more intensive fuzzy effect I am trying to achieve. The 50 is not delivering the look the I hoped it would ... I am now looking towards the 85 in hopes of that.

Christie photo- You made it sound like the 85 would be a win over the 50 ... does anyone else agree? I know it is a more expensive lens.

Montana - I did not get a chance to try the lens and we live a ways apart, I believe he had a 10D?

Any other tips/ opinions appreciated!
Love this forum!!

I believe she was talking about the difference in 85mm focal length versus 50mm. Depending on your location and options, each would have their advantages. I mentioned the 50 as something you could get for now to try out low F stop primes. They are great fun and can get you great shots. They can also be a challenge at times and you will need to learn to use them properly. I suggest the 50MM to people as a cheap lens to keep in the bag for low light shots where flash is not an potion. Once they learn to use it, they learn there is so much more they can do with it.

50mm and 85mm is something you would have to decide on. I do agree that 85mm can be tight indoors. That's why I went with the 50mm. I got the 1.4 because of its build quality and quieter, faster focus. However, my friends use the 1.8 and I would not hesitate to get it.

50mm and 85mm is something you would have to decide on.
Why pick one? Get both - all you have to decide is which to get first (which, I admit, may be just as tough of a choice...).

Here is a sample shot I took with my 40D and 85mm F/1.8

F/2.0, 1/125 ISO800

4116403226_7a79342bf5_o.jpg

<snip>
For a cheaper alternative, consider the 50mm F1.8. Its about $100 and will give the same DOF and "fuzzy" look you mention. You just have to move a little bit closer to your subject for the 50mm vs 85mm.
I shoot Nikon, but I think this applies to Canon as well. ^^ what he said is BS. Different leagues in terms of quality and certainly focal length. It's not "fuzzy", it's called bokeh or defocused background. Look for the number of aperture blades as well as the shape of them. That should be the determining factor on the quality of "fuzzy" backgrounds.

For some lab results, look at photozone.de

<snip>
For a cheaper alternative, consider the 50mm F1.8. Its about $100 and will give the same DOF and "fuzzy" look you mention. You just have to move a little bit closer to your subject for the 50mm vs 85mm.
I shoot Nikon, but I think this applies to Canon as well. ^^ what he said is BS. Different leagues in terms of quality and certainly focal length. It's not "fuzzy", it's called bokeh or defocused background. Look for the number of aperture blades as well as the shape of them. That should be the determining factor on the quality of "fuzzy" backgrounds.

For some lab results, look at photozone.de

Wow. Nice one. I know it's bokeh. I was using the term used by the OP. Look at my sig. I have the 1.4 with more blades. I know what you are talking about. I was just offering the cheaper 1.8 as a way to start out and decide if he likes it. "Jack"

Yes,
Dao, nice shot. Sorry I said fuzzy and got everyone upset ;)
Of course the 1.4 is awesome, but so is the price tag!

Dao - Do you have any other shots you would be willing to share using the 85?

Most reactions

Back