85mm vs 50mm?

True. I think someone misspoke. What does exist is a 35mm format.

Well... again, true... BUT...
The combination of focal length and camera format can create an image that is a distortion of what we see with our eyes. For example, objects that we know to be round can appear elliptical or oval shaped.

So, for discussion, it can be said that wide angle lenses exaggerate the relationship of objects in a composition and telephoto lenses compress or flatten the relationship between objects.

Remember.... the terms "wide angle" and "telephoto" describe how the focal length of a lens relates to the camera format used.... if it's greater of less than the "normal" focal length for the format. Since the vast majority of people who use cameras have never used a film camera other than 35mm, that format (35mm) has become a bench mark.

-Pete

When he mentioned 35mm perspective he was talking about a lens, which would be equivalent to 56 on FF. The fact that 35mm is also a camera format, is coincidental and irrelevant.
What you say regarding wide angles and teles is true, for discussion. I was just correcting a statement which mistook focal length and/or camera format for perspective and vice versa.
By the way, objects which we know to be round appear elliptical or oval to us too, when we look at them from an angle or up close. No different from a camera lens.
We just have the privilege of KNOWING that the object is round and compensate in our mind. The camera shows it the way it sees it without prejudice.

Hehe well I stand corrected on the perspective issue. And yes I was referring to focal length and not camera format. But DOF will still be different between 35mm crop and 50mm ff

Most reactions

Back