A 4×5 camera with a Petzval lens VS Canon 5d

It is entirely inappropriate to suggest these two sets of images be compared as in some type of contest.

Joe

But that is **exactly** how the images are being presented...AS A SIDE-BY-SIDE "comparison"...and I mean that literally...the pics are shown side-by-side, the article emphasizes the competition angle with the use of the term "vs", and so on...seems like a fair fight to me...paper negative versus Canon digital...

I went to Clendenin's web site and looked through all the shots he has up there...he's very big on the "Polaroid large format look", shown with the film borders and the many perforations the film has...a lot of artsy types like that full-field,I-don't-crop-my-images-look-here-are-my-negative-borders-to-prove-that-to-you-peons, blackout frame-type look...it draws clear (screamingly clear), blatant, in-yo-face-sucka!!!! attention to "the process" used. Somewhat of a contrivance, but a well-known one. A type of visual shorthand most of us are familiar with.

Yeah Derrel, I saw the website. I was just trying to be my usual polite civil self. But what the heck: It's a complete utter crock! Anyone who would buy into this is either a bleepin' idiot or vainly grinding a very dull ax. Better?

Joe

It's a complete utter crock! Anyone who would buy into this is either a bleepin' idiot or vainly grinding a very dull ax.

Buy into what?

It's a complete utter crock! Anyone who would buy into this is either a bleepin' idiot or vainly grinding a very dull ax.

Buy into what?

That the article and the photos present some type of appropriate contest -- the use of the term "versus" in the article title.

Joe

The photographer's contact information is on his website (link posted above). Perhaps if you write to him he will offer you an apology for his inappropriate behavior and you can then explain to him how he should behave more appropriately in the future.

Also, I'm sure that all us here, as photographers, can benefit from knowing what is and what is not an appropriate activity for us to engage in with our cameras and when not to use the word "vs" as a preposition and I thank you setting us straight in this important grammatical matter.

:lol:

Last edited:
I don't believe the photographer had much to do with the web-based "article", except to grant an interview to the woman who posted it on that web site. And of course, to release a handful of low-rez photos. I myself thought it was an interesting comparison of the two wildly different ways of achieving photographic portraits of modern Olympic athletes. Ysarex apparently didn't think it was appropriate, but honestly, he's just a grouchy old dude. And I'm a grouchy middle-aged dude. We're (mostly!) harmless! And besides, if ANY of us were to contact a bigshot, artsy fu-tog-ruhhhh-fer like that, he's no doubt blow us off for any one of them Hollywood chicas he's got in his port-fol-e-os (plural). Pretty sure we're all condemned to live out our days here on the sidelines. Coach never SAID anything specifically, to our faces, but we all know we're gonna be riding the pines for the rest of the season. It's purty obvious there's JUST GOTTA be a competition....I mean, which athlete's gonna' win the gold medal and which one's gonna wind up with the silver? D'is is "da' 'Lympics we'stalking bout here"!

Thanks, Derrel. My suggestion to Ysarex was meant only as sarcasm. He dropped something in our punch bowl and I wanted to make sure he didn't leave without it. :wink:

The photographer's contact information is on his website (link posted above). Perhaps if you write to him he will offer you an apology for his inappropriate behavior and you can then explain to him how he should behave more appropriately in the future.

Why would I want to do that? I never said the photographer did anything inappropriate. And since you like sarcasm, here's a site where you can get some help with your reading comprehension problem: Comprehension | Target the Problem! | Helping Struggling Readers | Reading Rockets

Joe

In the grand scheme of things, who really gives a flip which image was shot in what format and scanned/displayed at what resolution? So a single website worded their comparison as if its a contest... lets all go to our photographic bunkers now and pray for daylight because OMG the world is going to come to an end.

Here is a quick link to the calotype or Talbotype process. http://www.fotovisura.com/features/2010/09/talbot

It has a few EARLY images made with this process, and a bit of background on the fellow who invented the process. What some might not know is that Talbot's process allowed an image to be duplicated because his process used an intermediate step--a "negative", and was not a process in which the camera-exposed light-sensitive medium was *THE ONLY* image...so...the concept of using a "paper negative" (literally!) in this Olympic athlete portraiture series is actually a very interesting nod to the nature of early photographic processes.

Talbot essentially invented the negative/positive process and has been called "The Father of Modern Photography" (or something like that) as a result.

Still, what would look better at 50x40", the 5D or ORT25 in an artillery box with a Nikkor-W lens attached on the other end.

I dare say, the artillery box camera would out perform the 5D, provided that the film is held flat. There was once a time that a camera was essentially a box which kept light out - the same is no longer true.

(Focussing ... OTOH)

Paper negetive i did a few years ago

Untitled-8-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back