A 70-300mm lens for a Nikon D40 ?

~myStical~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to be able to shoot a full body from a distance, WITHOUT the need to be really really close to my subjects and get a nice depth of field.
So, Looking to buy a longer focal length zoom lens, like a 70-300 for my Nikon D40. What do you guys think ? Would a 70-300mm lens help me achieve what I want? Can you guys give me some suggestions on lenses?

Here are some example as to what I want to be able to achieve.

Full body - DOF
Spring on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Going somewhere on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Wondering on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
FrÃ*ða on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nice DOF close ups. But I want to get something like this without the need to be very close to the subject.

Unnur Birna on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cool on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attitude on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was considering a 70-300mm lens...but if you guys have any other suggestions. I would be more than happy to listen to you guys. If you can please also list the pricing and where to buy.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 70-300 and while I like it, I've been thinking about getting some nikon glass. They are fun lenses for landscape and portrait shots. They get really soft at 200+ at higher f stops unless you buy relly pricey glass is what I've found.

I have the Sigma 70-300 and while I like it, I've been thinking about getting some nikon glass. They are fun lenses for landscape and portrait shots. They get really soft at 200+ at higher f stops unless you buy relly pricey glass is what I've found.

:D
I'll look into it definitely.

Last edited:
I personally got the sigma lens a couple of years back, and while its a good starter lens, as mention passed 200 its soft and really hard to shoot with at slower shutter speeds due to no vibration reduction, so if you can get the Nikon 70-300mm VR, i would definately recommend it over any third party brand!!!!! the VR is very important if you're not shooting with a tripod

So is it the right kind of lens for the type of photos I want to take ??

Not necessarily. I don't use my tele much for portraits.

The 50mm will have the same effect.

yup that will work for what you described. They are very inexpensive and are awesome. Everyone should have one.

i'm by no means a pro, and i havent really used a telephoto lens before, but my understanding of getting that nice depth of field is that you have the be close to the subject... and the background has to be far off. the closer you are to the subject, and the farther the background is... the nicer looking your bokeh will be... at least thats what i've understood from my reading and my own shots. but of course, i may be wrong, so... if i am... someone please correct me (the last thing i want to do is give false information)!

that said, from what i understand, using a telephoto like a 70-300 might give you the effect (or at least a similar effect) of those full body DoF shots you posted, but probably wont give you the nice bokeh seen in the close ups you posted... unless you have a LOT of space between your background and your subject...

oh and also, the AF 50mm f1.8 wont autofocus on your D40... i've wanted one for a while, but it wont autofocus on my d60, and i dont have the money to buy a body with a built in focus motor (and i wont have that money anytime soon) so i havent picked it up yet. :(

of course :p but i already have the old e series 50 f1.8. i dont really need the metering either, so i'm set for now :p

plus, i'm not telling him not to buy it :p just warning him.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back