A beautiful sunrise and looking for some sales advice

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by cigrainger, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So this morning I went down to the main street in town to take some photos. Several people were out watching the sunrise (and taking pictures with flashing digicams ;)). Anyway, one guy came up and said that this was the most beautiful sunrise he had seen in 56 years of living in Florida. He gave me his card, said he though I had a good eye, and told me if I ever wanted to sell a photograph or two to call him.

Well, I've never really thought to sell my photographs before, I've just been enjoying taking pictures and thought maybe I'd sell a few prints to friends. I may just give him a call, but it also got me thinking. I used to work in a coffee shop here in town and I bet the owner would be willing to display some of my photographs and take a percentage of the sales. I'll have to put together a portfolio soon.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I had to clone out a LOT of sand because my body isn't sealed and sand gets in there. I even cleaned it right before I left. These are as shot -- not contrast or saturation boosts. I just used a polarizing filter. A few of them have a 3:4 crop rather than 2:3, and they all have all the junk on the sensor cloned out. I'd love any advice and criticism. These are in chronological order.

Oh, and can anyone help? I save the color profile, but the pictures look SO much different and more vibrant in photoshop than the JPGs! It frustrates me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay? 29 views and no comments? I didn't think they were that bad.

3. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they all look good to me, #4 stands out to me.

4. Andraste

Andraste TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Cig ^^,

I'm no photography expert, I shoot by eye alone, but I'd say these pics are fantastic. You do have a good eye, that's one beautiful sunset. (One thing among many that I miss about Florida lol)

As far as selling your photos goes, well, that's up to you. Maybe it'd be a good idea to talk to the coffee shop owner where you used to work (or whoever it is you're closest to in there) and see what they'd say about displaying some of the shots in there. Couldn't hurt, and you might be surprised. (^: Good to hear that you got that opportunity though. That's fantastic news.

One way or another, Great photos, and keep up the good work. Not too many commented, but I personally enjoy them :wink:

Nice work
    Take care :thumbup:

5. koda-46

koda-46 TPF Noob!

ill have to disagree..... i find them very boring to look at..... and the seaguls and the kids are blury and distorted. dont even think about selling them and yes I know I may sound very blunt but Im just expressing my own opinion. nice color though.......

6. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you referring to the *motion blur* -- that's something many photographers aim for, and I was in these photographs. Note that the rest of the photograph is sharp.

If you have criticism, I appreciate it, but ignorant and completely subjective statements like "boring" don't help me become a better photographer. If you feel the need to make a statement like that, include something along with it like -- "I think it's boring, I would have done this", etc.

I also have to say I don't intend on selling THESE specifically. If I'm going to sell photos, I'm going to use film, probably medium format. My digital SLR is a learning tool -- it's just not good enough in my mind to make large prints I would feel happy selling.

I also had a look at your other posts. It appears to me that you border on trolling.

7. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    It's fine if you were aiming for that, but he doesn't know what you were aiming for. Especially since you are planning on selling these, you may want to consider people's subjective opinions. If someone is going to buy an image they aren't going to say "Well I don't like that motion blur, but since that's what he is going for, I'll buy it anyways." Yes his response was blunt and couldn't been said a bit more positively, but do take is opinion into consideration. :) Please don't take this harshly either, I am just trying to help you out. :)

As for my critique! I like 1 and 4 the best. The blur of the people for number 1 is very ghostlike, and I think it's a neat effect. Number 4 has a very nice cropping, and it seems like something I'd see in a beach house or coffee shop. :) As for technical critique, your exposure is nice. and the colors are too. :) You have a few more dust spots you may want to clone out before you sell them, too.

Nice work.

8. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks -- I edited my post a bit more. I don't plan on selling these specifically.

I appreciate the advice and the input. I just kind of figured that motion blur is something you can tell is intended, unlike its evil twin sister camera shake :D.

Obviously I'll take subjective opinions into account (and obviously photography is mostly subjective), but considering this is a photographer's forum I would just expect a little more than that.

Your critique is exactly what I'm looking for -- discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the photographs. :thumbup: I want specific stuff so I can get better!

9. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is this a better bird picture?

[​IMG]

10. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So you didn't boost the contrast or saturation and your picture still turned out like this? That's great.

Maybe koda-46 is too used to photoshopped photos.

If you photoshop some of these shots it would probably turn out even better, although you may want to be 'original'.

Very nice shots man. I love the perfectly straight horizons also.

11. cigrainger

cigrainger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks -- nope, no contrast or saturation boosts. I may consider it, but I think I'll shoot film (some Velvia 50) for sale photos.

I have a thing for perfectly straight horizons -- I can get them most of the time with my tripod, but if not I just use the horizon straightener tool in photoshop's RAW editor.

12. sbranam

sbranam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you did a great job! I really like 3!