A Beginners guide to Macro Photography

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive never really tried it, but ive seen amazing results, of flowers and insects and generally everything small. But have many questions :D.

Its a lens that i would like to add to my collection, but have no idea what i really want or what would be best. Yes, i know it depends what i want to do and how close i want to get, but i thought id ask the people that know.

Ive had a good read on the Sigma site...
www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/macro/macro.htm
I see the 70mm and 105 mm are much the same price, do you recommend one more than another, whats the most common lens? I think comparison pictures the difference between 50mm, 70mm and 105mm would be nice.

Currently i use a Canon 350D, so do i need to watch the crop factor when chosing a lens?

Do you need additional lighting, or can 90% of nature macros be done with natural light?

Do you recommend any lenses, lengths, makes etc, i would like to pay as little as possible, but maybe £350 (If i can get a decent lens for that?) max.

This is as good as ive got with the Kit 18-55mm, which im happy with, but you cant help feeling a macro lens would have made life so much easier and turn a snap into something amazing.

Hope you can help... ive tried to keep it quite open so it might halp others wanting to start macro photography.

Well the big difference between the different focal lengths is your working distance which is how close you can get to the subject - shorter focal lengths mean less working distance and that can be tricky when working with bees and bugs as they might just fly away. Have you considered the canon 100macro? It is one of the most popular macro lenses for canon users - after that I would take a look at the longer sigma 150 and 180mm - they cost a little more than the 100 but have more distance to work with (ps we are talking cms here).

Also remember that these are prime lenses so you can't zoom in or out at all. If you miss your mark you have to move the camera (which means your whole tripod as well most of the time) To help with this look up and get a focusing rail - that will allow you to slide the camer back and forwards whilst on a tripod head

edit: collection of some of my research into the "best" macro lens - based on the canon 100 - sigma 150 and sigma 180
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/1125160-post193.html
edit 2 - the canon 100mm would fit your budget

Most reactions

Back