A Big Takumar

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been really really good about not spending any cash on my collection/camera stuff for a while but I just could not pass this one up. I knew it was going to be large but I had no idea it would be this large. Its still smaller than most of Canon's large super telephotos but I was always under the assumption that older manual lenses were quite a bit smaller in size to their modern AF cousins. Not really sure about the practicality of this lens but it sure does attract attention amongst my Takumar collection. With a min focusing distance of 10m, it was going to get difficult to shoot quick test shots around my rather small property.

It will be a fun lens to have during camping/hiking trips. It will take practice but I need to try it out on some birds too...

Attached photos

1) Takumar 500mm f/4.5 makes my DSLR look puny
2) Wide open at a tree hole those darn squirrels like to call home. A bit of CA around the leaves.
3) flowers stopped down to f/8.

Not bad at all for a lens built several decades ago....

Attachments

• $Takumar500.jpg
    $Takumar500.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 454
  • $Takumar500_1.jpg
    $Takumar500_1.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 401
  • $Takumar500_2.jpg
    $Takumar500_2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 438
Awesome find! I have been looking around for one of those for a while, hows the focus action? I know the all of my Takumars are awesome and smooth when focusing, except for my 300mm which is a little tight.

The focusing on this lens is very smooth as with most takumars.. maybe a tad stiff. From the amount of dust that had accumulated on this lens, I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been used for many years. I bet it should loosen up nicely after a few uses. The focusing ring rotates a full 360 degrees from 10m to infinity. The good news is that the glass is absolutely clear.

Maybe you can make your camera a little bigger and suited to the lens by attaching a battery grip to it.

Most reactions

Back