A Bit of a Rush

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From my beach trip last month.
792-0874-lc.jpg

I really like the way the water looks in this. Forgive me for being a noob but, how do you get the water to turn out like that? SLR camera, effects etc.?

That's awesome Walter! One of my favorites I've seen from you lately. I love how the rushing water contrasts with the calm pools of water/sand right next to it...this picture really is dynamic.

@matt_paul85: that would be due to a longer exposure. Looks like he used 1/2.5 second shutter speed. It "captures motion"

I feel that water is movin'

@matt_paul85: that would be due to a longer exposure. Looks like he used 1/2.5 second shutter speed. It "captures motion"

Ah, thanks for explaining. I really need to take some classes! Not enough time in the day unfortunately.

Thanks everyone.

Marcus is correct, a longer exposure blurs motion.

This shot was taken with a Nikon d300, f22 at 1/3 sec., lo2 iso. The smaller aperture (f22) increases the exposure time. Likewise with the lower iso.

Here's an example of a little longer exposure;
Nikon d300, f25 at 1 second, 200 iso.
780s-0315-vx.jpg

And something a little longer;
Rock in stream - Nikon d80, f32 at 2 seconds, 100 iso
800-0057.jpg

I think I am going to try that at the beach today!

Beautiful images, the whole lot of them.

Thank you.

I think I am going to try that at the beach today!

Another thing that really helps to make these is to shoot under less than sunny skies. These were all shot near sunrise, sunset in generally cloudy dull conditions.

Here's another of my favorites.
Nikon d80, f25 at 1/3 sec, 100 iso & a circular polarizer (which helps to slow things down even more).
6400019.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back