A boat

digitalrightnow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a picture of a ship that's docked here in my local harbour you can see it here;

http://www.treebat.com/boat.jpg

Could you all give me some feedback.

I hope it isn't to large for you all to really see.

Hmmm.... straighten it. She seems to be listing.

This is what I call a 'record' shot. It has no purpose other than to document the ship at dock. It might have some value if you were travelling on the ship, or part of the crew, or the owner, etc. Other than that, it has nothing to 'say.'

Whenever I take a cruise I routinely take a 'record' shot of the ship in dock and a side view which includes my cabin's location. These pictures become part of the photos of the cruise. They have no other use.

If you were to downsize the image to about 800, I'd be able to see enough of it on my 21-inch screen to analyze it. As it presently exists, it is too large to fit on one screen.

Dude, I open it fine on a 17 inch monitor. And Torus said what I was too lazy to type, its documentation not a photo with a message.

EB;

I wasn't trying to be snide in my comment, and thank you for understanding that right from the get-go. Life takes enough swipes at us without us taking swipes at each other!

Nothing really wrong with the shot, as long as it's purpose wasn't to be fine art. A couple of degrees of rotation to the left might be in order, but that's about all.

I hope we all take lots and lots of 'record' shots - they're an important part of how we document our lives. If I only clicked the shutter for a picture to hang on the wall, there would be very, very few clicks indeed.

AGain this is not to be snide, I agree about the need for documentation shots. For several years one of my contracts for weekday work was making photos of houses for insurance companies.

The rules were simple, show the house as it is, period.

Avoid dark shadows that hide features of the house.

better to over expose one corner than to black out another.

It don't have to be purdy just show me that it is there.

That kind of photography does a number on how you see things. It take a little untraining to do landscapes afterwards. Since I sold very few landscapes in thirty years the retraining only happened lately.

It's fun to keep a foot in both camps. Keeps the eye and mind from getting lazy. Yesterday, I was exploring the abilities of a digital camera I'd just bought to take carefully composed color prints for my walls. This morning I was busy ordering a hot shoe-pc adapter so I can bracket my trusty ol' Sunpack 511 to the same camera to shoot an up-coming party for a grandchild.

mysteryscribe said:
AGain this is not to be snide, I agree about the need for documentation shots.
I also agree on the need for documentation/PJ shots.

EBPhotography said:
Dude, I open it fine on a 17 inch monitor. And Torus said what I was too lazy to type, its documentation not a photo with a message.
My display is really confusing me! I'm configured at 1600x1200 @ 72 and I'm only seing half the width of the image

I just shrank the image if you want to take another look?

digitalrightnow said:
This is a picture of a ship that's docked here in my local harbour you can see it here;

http://www.treebat.com/boat.jpg

Could you all give me some feedback.

I hope it isn't to large for you all to really see.

what is the point of this shot? it's mostly a snapshot the way i see it. and as others have mentioned it appears to mostly be useful as a "records shot".

but artistically it's uninteresting and the colors are a bit washed out. i think it would help us to critique it better if you had a more specific question about what you want us to comment on.

At the smaller size more of it looks in focus.

Most reactions

Back