A Boring Photo

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Historical locations can make for some intensely boring photos.
680w-v7689.jpg

In this vicinity in 1871 a stage rolled through the area on it's way to Prescott, Az. Suddenly, a band of Apache Mohave Indians sprang from nowhere and savagely attacked the little stage killing 6 men. A young lady, Mollie Sheppard died of her wounds a day later.

There are no such group of people as the Mohave Apache. In that time all Indians were called 'Apache', which means 'enemy' in the Hopi Indian language. The Yavapai Indians were the masters of this region. They would not have tolerated an Apache intrusion. The Apache territory was far to the east, and it didn't matter that no Indians may have been involved in the raid anyway.

I believe it was something that Mollie said, that they didn't look like real Indians. There was speculation that white men had masqueraded as the 'Apache' and perpetrated the attack to gain the U.S. Army's attention. By slaughtering some of the travelers through the area, they could assure themselves that a war would be waged upon the local natives, killing them off to give white men free and unfettered access to the gold and land in the area.

Interesting story! Pic has good color, but I agree it isn't much without the story.

I have some land in Prescott (Yavapai County) -- beautiful area up there!

I've hunted quail in country in the general area of Prescott that looked like that. It's harder country to get around in than you might think.

As the locals will remind you, it's pronounced PRESS-cut, not PRESS-COT.

Wow, i actually fell asleep looking at that :D

If that made you fall asleep, you should try driving I10 from West Texas to California. That's all you see for days.....

Gee, Crazydad, my mail used to be delivered from the Leander post office when I lived at the edge of Lake Travis.

My parents lived in far west Texas. If you got off the interstate, there was some drop-dead gorgeous country. If you stayed on it, boredom ruled.

So true, Fort Davis/Christmas Mountains/Big Bend areas are spectacular. But I prefer the hill country around the lakes.

Not as boring as pictures of someone else's kids though. (For the record, at 17 I don't have any of my own, but if I did, they would probably be boring too.)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I tried to pull a little depth and color out of this and make it worth looking at.

Foxpaw, learned all about that a few years ago sharing a hot tub in Barstow with a couple from Prescott. Sort of like calling San Francisco, 'Frisco' in front of San Franciscans. Very nice couple though. They only had to correct me once. :)

oh yes +1.....some nice colour in a dry scrubby landscape abraxas, not the sort of place to get stuck in.

+1 & thanks.

Arizona seems to get considerably more water than my part of the desert in California. The plants, at least when this was taken, were much richer and alive looking.

Boring indeed! But well-handled considering.

I like your shots, Abraxas, but I don't envy your location. I'd love to see what you could achieve if you had some non-deserted places to work with!

Keep it up, man.

Most reactions

Back