A brand new, shiny car in an old run down factory :)

Mamoorlook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi just thougt of sharing some of the pics that i did for my buddy of his car.
so, Hartera session:

f_hon1m_86198d9.jpg

f_IMG4702m_3840539.jpg

f_IMG4709m_eff0284.jpg

f_IMG4713m_da013e9.jpg

f_IMG4728m_8fec3fe.jpg

f_IMG4744m_bfa4902.jpg

f_IMG4747m_a45ed08.jpg

f_IMG4753m_35bc3f3.jpg

f_IMG4757m_59f7e91.jpg

f_IMG4810m_6f6eab0.jpg

f_IMG4768m_4f6bd35.jpg

f_IMG4816m_10c9aaa.jpg

f_IMG4793m_1faeacc.jpg

f_IMG4823m_7838e8d.jpg

f_IMG4780m_2ba1dce.jpg

f_IMG4739m_ea10c1e.jpg

Most of these I'm not really jazzed about. On many of them the lighting is too harsh and the contrast is too high. You have blown out highlights and no shodow details. Just doesn't work well. If you have an off-camera flash, try using it to fill-in some of the details here. By using fill light, you'll also reduce the contrast ratio, which will also bring the highlights in line as well, giving you great detail, but having a more natural light feel to it. I think you HAVE the idea, and I like the scene and many of the compositions, just need to work on the execution a bit more.

Too many shots to comment on individually, so I'll give you some general remarks.

You have a very neat location for a shot, and the location itself seems ripe with opportunity for good and interesting pictures. However, that competes with your primary subject, which is the car. Most of these pictures don't highlight the car well (or at least in the typical way that cars are shot) and most of these also don't highlight the environment well.

I think if you parked the car in a neat spot in the environment and took more "typical" car shots (making the car the primary and dominating subject) that would work well, but would take away a lot from the environment. There are probably situations where you can highlight both the car AND the environment well, but I suspect they are going to be REALLY hard to make work together...

Of them, I think 8 12 15 and 16 had the most overall potential, and with just a bit of cropping I think they would really work well.

Actually, maybe I'll give it a shot myself...

Ok, I'm not totally thrilled with any of these... unfortunately you have interesting elements in the shot that force me to be conservative on the crop (because I want to keep them in), but wind up sticking the car in a position in the shot which doesn't give a lot of visual interest.

For example...

car1.jpg

With this one, I really like the way the light is streaming in from the window up the upper left there and hitting the car, but I want the car more on the far right of the frame.

You could move the car to the right, but I would be concerned you would lose too much of the light on the car from that window. You could also crop more of the right off the frame, but I liked the light in the tunnel or whatever on the right there so I hated to lose it.

You could move more your body a bit to one side or the other and swing the camera to get the window, the light, the car, and just keep the car more off on the right of the frame. It's hard to be totally sure, but basically you'd need to move around a bit to frame it differently and keep the elements.

BTW, I also increased the brightness on this by like 50 points.

Next...

car2.jpg

Again, I think the car is a bit too dead-centered in the frame to make this shot -really- work. I cropped a bit and straightened it (both rotated and fixed perspective a touch). I think it helps, but again, I think you want to move your body to re-frame the image with the car in a more interesting position.

(by the way, look up The Rule of Thirds for a good guide on how to interestingly position subjects in frame)

Next...

car3.jpg

I think this was among the best of your shots, if not THE best. It just had a bit too much dead space and was too dark. I cropped it and brightened it a lot (60 points). I actually really want the car up and to the right a hair still, but there was nothing more on the left and bottom of the frame to play with. :) I could have cloned more into the image but that would be cheating. :)

On the brightness thing... when taking pictures of things in the dark, I generally find that you want it way brighter than you would expect. Always try to 1. Overexpose your subject slightly (take the picture in RAW so you can back it down), and then be sure to DELIBERATELY turn up the brightness significantly more than your original "oh yeah that looks good", and see what you think. You'd be surprised how often you find it will look better.

On the overexpose thing... in darkness you lose color and detail. If you overexpose just a hair, you'll be sure to get the colors and details, and then as long as you shoot in raw you can back down the exposure a hair without muddying up the image with noise and loss of color.

Hope all this helps.

Post less pictures to get more accurate feedback.

Generally, I find them all very dark.

Hey, thanks for the comments and the advice! I'll keep it in mind!

Sorry, but those just arent very well exposed. The car is either completely blown out and lacking detail or is very noisy.

With digital, you either lose shadows or highlights. This is case where you'd want to lose shadows as you want people to looking at the car.

I agree with manaheim about the 2nd last shot being your best. Other than being too noisy, the exposure is better because it retains almost all of the details in the car.

Most reactions

Back