A Brand Newbie!

MrB3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to photography. Can anyone suggest equipment to start with? What should I be looking for in a camera and other essential equipment. My goal is to eventually get good enough to eak out a part-time income. Any suggestions??

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to photography. Can anyone suggest equipment to start with? What should I be looking for in a camera and other essential equipment. My goal is to eventually get good enough to eak out a part-time income. Any suggestions??

That depends on what your budget is and what you want to shoot.

I'm looking to spend less than $1,000.00 and I would like to shoot portraits/people/buildings etc

You might want to look at this:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233922913&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black): Electronics[/ame]

And one of these:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-430EX-Speedlite-Flash-Cameras/dp/B000AO3L84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233922983&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Canon 430EX Speedlite Flash for Canon Pro1, Pro 90, G Series and all EOS SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Go to your local library and read all they have on portraiture, lighting, digital photography. Use this forum and the other photo forums for information by real people actually using the equipment. Post pictures for critique.

You'll find options from all the major manufacturer's in your price range. The canon XSi isn't a bad choice but my personal preference would be the Pentax K20D with 18-55mm lens. As your looking to photograph quite a range of items however You might run into budget problems coping with everything.

The 18-55 will do ok for most of what you want but portraits you might be better off with something like a 70mm or 100mm lens. With your budget this is where pentax's (or Nikons ) come into their own as you can get cheap, excellent quality, manual focus lenses to fill gaps in your collection.

For lighting you'll probably want a flash, flash stand, remote trigger of some sort and an umbrella. None of which is expensive, take a look at Strobist for some idea on that front. As you'd be mainly operating your flash in manual mode a dedicated one isn't required so you can look at cheap 2nd hand options. Nikon SB20/24/26 are good flash choices but will only work in manual and auto modes with a Pentax.

The above is right. Canon is going to be more pricey and Pentax would be a good learning system.

Get an external flash no matter what system you buy.

based on personal choice i would agree with getting a low end Canon, get the 50mm f/1.8 lens as well, the kit lens that comes with consumer canon cameras is not that good in low light. as stated before get an external flash as well and make sure it has manual settings, going full auto on a flash is limiting.

Try looking at the canon 40d and nikon d90 both are fantastic cameras and are just a bit over a thousand dollars. The 40d is a bit tougher but it's just personal preference canon or nikon i personally like how nikons feel in my hands so i went with the d90 great choice too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back