A broach spire

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thirteenth century masons worked out that if you want to fit a tapering octagonal spire exactly on top of a square tower you need tapering triangles known as broaches to fill in the corners. This church, at Frampton, Lincolnshire, is one of the first examples of this type of spire.

Tony

For more info: http://photoreflect.blogspot.com/2008/04/broach-spire.html

Frampton-church.jpg

What a lovely pic! It's the image that springs to my mind's eye when I hear the phrase "English country church". And I love the info that so often accompanies your pics...little interesting facts I would probably never stumble across.

Thanks Antarctican & CreateNetwork. Glad you liked the accompanying blurb. My principal interest is church architectural history. Most of my images of churches are details taken for the subject they portray rather than as photographs in themselves. But the general views have a wider application. In my archive this one is "St Mary, Frampton, Lincolnshire - exterior SE" (from the south east) :).

Regards, Tony

This has a nice feel despite the small cemetery in the foreground.

Cool stuff.

Nice shot...I'm reading The Pillars of The Earth right now and the author talks a lot about 12th century churches.

It's so crazy to think that church in your shot is around 800 years old - it looks like it was built 50 years ago.

Beautiful picture. Great colors and contrast. I really like it.

Most reactions

Back