A C&C Gallery?

1limited92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you think there should be one created maybe under the Photo Gallery thread? It would help keep all the requested C&C topics from cluttering up threads like beginner. All the C&C topics would be in the same thread unless it needs to be in a specific thread like B&W,Macro,ETC. Just a suggestion but not sure if its needed or would help stuff out.

Or is it ok if I just start a new topic in the beginner thread? I am a beginner and just wanna show a few more "learning" pictures for comments.

Can I delete MY TOPICS once they get old/inactive?

Don't worry about deleting old topics- once a thread falls of page one it quicky gets ignored and lost in the masses. Typically threads are not deleted from the forum unless they contain posts which are deemed unsuitable by the moderation/admin staff (eg breaking the site rules).

As for a critique section TPF had one in the past and it failed (from what I hear it was an epic failing of rude comments, harshness and general unpleasentries). Since then the galleries served as the main area for image posting and commenting - with C&C in thread titles appearing when people were more keen for constructive input.
However in the last year or so the large influx of new members who would post images into the beginners section whilst seeking constructive input lead to a relaxing of the image posting rules in that section and thus allowed image posting threads to be placed there by beginners for critique and advice.

So yes, by all means put images into that section for feedback (heck its far more active than most of the galleries are at present :( ) and I would not expect a C&C section to be made any time.
Also do have a read of the first link in my signature for some guidlines/advice on making a thread asking for feedback on your images and remember - the more you put into your post the better the responces you are likley to get back.

I personally think there should be a C&C section retry. Its saddening when you see a C&C thread has over 100+ views with no more than a single comment or two. Obviously harsh criticism in said section can possibly be expected, but at the same time any rude, intolerable responses or flame wars should be met with the fitting punishment/whipping-stick/banhammer etc.

Yes, we have had a few different incarnations of a 'critique forum'...and in each case, there were enough problems that we had to change it or just take it away.

It started with a simple critique section where you would post a photo and ask for critique. The problem was that few people provided any information to go along with their photo, so it was hard to offer any useful critique because we didn't know if the photo accomplished what the photographer wanted. You could say "it's under exposed"...but maybe that's the way they wanted it.
On top of that, most of the comments were still useless dribble like 'Great shot'.

We had guidelines. Only one photo at a time, provide some background info etc. But only about half the people followed the guidelines.
We also tried rules for the comments, where useless posts would be deleted. That didn't go over very well either.

We tried a much more structured format, where threads & comments would be out-right rejected if they didn't meet the criteria that was set out...or they would be edited so that they did fit. People really didn't like that.

We tried having a committee, made up of both mods & regular members, to figure out the best way to make a satisfactory critique section. That didn't work either.

Now we just have gallery sections....and if you want some critique, you just have to ask for it. As pointed out by someone who would know, most people don't really know how to properly ask for critique and even fewer actually know how to properly give critique.

Most reactions

Back