A case for using UV Filters

I know, I know... Buzz-Killers... :lol:

See, I knew you didn't use them. :D Using one and not the other (to me) is like using a dual-port prophylactic. :lol:

OK, that wasn't that funny. I wanted to make a joke about using protection where it's seldom needed and not protecting against the more real and common dangers. (kinda ineffectual overall :D)

I'll probably think of something terribly funny in a week when the thread no longer relevant. :p

well, as i am in the green from time to time... there are lots of branches trying to scratch on my lenses. in fact i had some collisions there.

What do you do for the backs of the lenses though? Just leave them open in the pouch?

Completely open... no rear cap either. Each lens has their own pouch so there is no chance of two lenses banging or rubbing against each other and scratching elements. I sometimes shoot with two cameras around my neck. I've had one camera bang into another cracking the front filter.

btw... I often shoot with 30-50 year old lenses too. Many have well known to have soft glass elements. I had one CLA'd and had the tech put a nice filter on it after completing the cleaning. That filter has never been removed from the lens.

Leica, B+W and Heliopan filters are on mine. I think Leica filters are actually made by B+W.. at least that is the rumor.

Completely open... no rear cap either. Each lens has their own pouch so there is no chance of two lenses banging or rubbing against each other and scratching elements. I sometimes shoot with two cameras around my neck. I've had one camera bang into another cracking the front filter.

And there's no trouble with dust or grainy bits entering in?

btw... I often shoot with 30-50 year old lenses too. Many have well known to have soft glass elements. I had one CLA'd and had the tech put a nice filter on it after completing the cleaning. That filter has never been removed from the lens.

Yup! There's now compounded logic to your method! That's very true too about coatings (and maybe the lens glass too I dunno) being softer on 30+ year old stuff. At least as I remember it anyway. Do you have any picture threads up with images where some of your older lenses in your collection were used? I'd like to take a look.

See, I knew you didn't use them. :D Using one and not the other (to me) is like using a dual-port prophylactic. :lol:

OK, that wasn't that funny. I wanted to make a joke about using protection where it's seldom needed and not protecting against the more real and common dangers. (kinda ineffectual overall :D)

I'll probably think of something terribly funny in a week when the thread no longer relevant. :p
For me protection is important. I have severely scratched a filter in the areas I like to roam for pics. Last one was a small jagged rock that came off an area I was climbing up. It got past the lens hood and, would have done the same to the lens.

And there's no trouble with dust or grainy bits entering in?

Dust yes... Grainy bits no...

Some dust will make its way regardless of whether you use caps or not. When caps are not being used, they can pick up dust that is transferred to your lens. In fact, I would guess that plastic caps are slightly worse... plastic generally has a little static charge.

Grainy bits no. My bag or pouches are only open when I'm reaching inside for something. They are closed to the outside world otherwise. If I have been shooting in a dirty environment, I'll clean out my bag once I am back at home. Never had an instance of a scratched rear element.

Do you have any picture threads up with images where some of your older lenses in your collection were used? I'd like to take a look.

Most are still on film... but I manage to dig a few up that were scanned by an Epson 3170 a few years ago. The colored one was the only one I was sure shot with an older lens on a newer digital. I'm REALLY bad about keeping records of this and that... I just shoot.. and enjoy. All were shot with either a 50mm Summicron or 35 Summaron... both of which were paired with an old M3.

Attachments

• $img006.jpg
    $img006.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 81
  • $img011.jpg
    $img011.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 91
  • $img024.jpg
    $img024.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 82
  • $img047.jpg
    $img047.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 74
One last set...

The last two is the only one I was pretty sure taken with the 50 summicron. I was testing them out on family.... The very last was taken with an Epson R-d1.... just checking how it looks at ISO 800.

BTW... Thanks TPF Mods for adding the uploading feature to us Subscribers. So much easier/convenient and doesn't degrade the photos as badly like picturetrail and the like. Yes... I'm slow.. it took me that long to try it out. :blushing:

Attachments

• $NYC005.jpg
    $NYC005.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 78
  • $L1010436.jpg
    $L1010436.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 79
  • $EPSN0478_1.jpg
    $EPSN0478_1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 89
This thread Jinx'd me!!! AAHHH!!!

I was shooting yesterday and dropped my 75 Summarit. I switched lenses and then switch to my other camera loaded with B&W negative. I guess I didn't turn the lens all the way until it locked into place and it worked its way loose from the camera hanging around my neck. Its been years since I heard the sicking thump of solid metal...

From the looks of it, the filter ring took the brunt of the fall and bent. Focusing is still Leica smooth but the aperture ring was pretty stiff. Glass is intact. Ran a few test shots on location and examined them on the digital camera. Looks good... focus seems ok. It took a while to get past upset so I can continue to enjoy the day but I got some great photos.

Back at home, I managed to force the filter off and suddenly the aperture ring moved a lot smoother now. The bent filter ring must have been placing some pressure on the lens barrel. Ran more test shots and examined the photos on the big monitor. The 75 Summarit's ability to produce great images is intact.. thats the good news. The bad news is that the lens' front barrel has developed a noticeable play. Grrrr... ah well.. could be worse..

From the looks of the filter ring, I'd say it could be ALOT worse if it wasn't there. It wasn't just a UV filter but a IR cut filter.... so yeh.. its going to cost a little $$$ to replace. I did my best to straighten the filter out and losely screwed it to the front of the summarit. Ah.. it will do until I get around to replacing it.

Wife said that I could sell it at a low price and replace it if I wanted to.... but I want a 24mm elmarit someday and I don't want to blow what I have saved. I think I can live with it.

If the glass of the IR Cut is still good you can transfer it to another aluminum filter barrel of one of your cheaper (hopefully VERY cheap) filters. They're often held in place with a gapped tension ring. You can compress the spring tension ring with two sewing needles epoxied onto a cheap pair of pliers - don't wanna ruin good pliers. Once the needles are on the pliers and dug into the ring sufficiently to compress the ring by squeezing the pliers, push down and kinda rotate outward and it should come out - or at least enough to remove it. Once out change the glass for the IR Cut filter with the and put back the ring.

If you can't find a filter with a compression ring like that buy a $5 hood (wide type) with an aluminum ring (not plastic) and touch your sewing needle to a little epoxy and dap it on the rim edge of the glass being careful of course not to get any one the glass faces (back or front). Then drop the glass into the hood ring, press slightly and check that it's in flat. Wait an hour and wala - you won't have to replace your expensive filter.

Here's a hood for wide angle. You can maybe see that it bevels out and has stepped rings for seating just about any minimal size variations.

Filter_Repair.jpg

This particular one already has a tri-aceetyl-cellulose filter epoxied to the front face rim and the hood rubber still on. I paid $4.99 for it. ;)

Sorry to hear about you lens man! Oh, and thanks for the images! You have some good looking kids there!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into what I stashed away. I have done something similar when I created by variable ND filter using two polarizers.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how the IR cut glass is retained within the ring (B+W) brand. I don't see any retaining ring. I also don't have any "cheap" filters in the strange sizes that Leica lenses come in...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back