A cheap sturdy DYI flash clamp...

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not the prettiest thing in the world, but for pennies it sure works great!

1 mounting stud (eBay ~$3)
1 Cold shoe mount (eBay ~$5-14 depending on metal or plastic)
1 shop clamp (Home depot ~$4)
1 1/4"x20 1" stud (~30cents)
1 1/4x20 nut ~20cents)

So for well under ~$20 you cna have a really good flash clamp that will even support a softbox or umbrella. Being cheap I scrounged around the shop and only had to buy the mounting stud and the cold show mount. I got the metal one with the umbrella hole.

Yes you can buy flash clamps fro around $5 on Amazon, eBay etc....they are small, and made completely of cheap plastic. HAd one and it broke the second time I used it.

clamp.jpg

The cheapskate macgyver in me loves this. I'm probably also going to try it.

I wonder if it would look a little more professional with a new shop clamp. I can just imagine pulling one of these rusty things out at a wedding shoot, I might be a bit embarrassed. :)

I wonder if it would look a little more professional with a new shop clamp. I can just imagine pulling one of these rusty things out at a wedding shoot, I might be a bit embarrassed. :)

the things I shoot have four legs, fur, and don't judge the work by the tool. ;)

...also the reason that isn't a new clamp is that it was the first time I made one of these, and was dammed if I was going to ruin a new one! ;P

Most reactions

Back