A choice of 4...

ssgv2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For my birthday ive been given a choice of 4 different cameras all with there own Pros and Cons:

*Canon S3 is
*Samsung NV7 ops
*That new Olympus with the equivalent to 28-504mm zoom
*Fuji s9600
Ah, i forgot to mention im picking these because i cant keep up the costs of the film.
There all great cameras but i cant choose! Help!

Go with the Canon. Their design is well thought-out, their image stabilization is amazing, and their software is good. Having a good lens and IS is really nice.

The Canon has lens-based stabilization, which is better than the sensor-based stabilization on the Olympus.

You won't be lacking for telephoto on either one of them.

Wait a minute. Are those cameras in your siggy the ones you have already? Why would you be considering a P&S if you already have an EOS 5? If it is for portability, consider something that is truly pocket-sized, like a high-end Canon Digital Elph. If it's as big as any of the ones above, consider asking for a lens for your SLRs instead. The whole point of SLRs is that you can put great optics on them. To be stuck with a 35-80 and buying other, lesser cameras instead is a real shame. That poor EOS 5 is castrated with only a 35-80...

If you have any say in the matter at all, have the person get you another lens for your EOS 5. Then, sell the EOS 300 and get another lens or a flash. You've got me scratching my head here. Most of us who have a DSLR don't go back to P&S cameras...

Ah, i forgot to mention im picking these because i cant keep up the costs of the film.

Forget about those cameras. Save up and get a Rebel XT or XTi...it isn't that much more...but you would be getting 10X the camera. After using a film EOS...the cameras you listed might be very disappointing to you.

sell the film SLRs then and get a digital.

Wait a minute. Are those cameras in your siggy the ones you have already? Why would you be considering a P&S if you already have an EOS 5? If it is for portability, consider something that is truly pocket-sized, like a high-end Canon Digital Elph. If it's as big as any of the ones above, consider asking for a lens for your SLRs instead. The whole point of SLRs is that you can put great optics on them. To be stuck with a 35-80 and buying other, lesser cameras instead is a real shame. That poor EOS 5 is castrated with only a 35-80...

If you have any say in the matter at all, have the person get you another lens for your EOS 5. Then, sell the EOS 300 and get another lens or a flash. You've got me scratching my head here. Most of us who have a DSLR don't go back to P&S cameras...

The EOS 5 and 300 are film cameras :D

You are thinking of the EOS 5D wich is a different kettle of fish.

I'd try and stretch to an XT or an XTi. You will see a huge improvement in IQ over a P&S.

CHeers
Jim

Perhaps we are jumping the gun.... Just because someone already owns or shoots with a film SLR doesn't mean they want to progress to a DSLR. There might be a reason for his choices being P&S. Besides... not all P&S are THAT bad.. sometimes we make it seem like they are the worst things you can buy.

My father is one... shot with a 35mm SLR for most of his life but recently went to a digital P&S. Why? His getting into his later years... cherishes things simple... wanted something compact... A package containing a Canon P&S w/ pictbridge printer fit him nicely. I'm happy because I got to keep his 35mm SLR.

Just my 2 cents ...

Canon S3 IS is a good camera from all the reports. Although not a photographer or photo-hobbiest, my coworker raves about it. With that said, its the oldest of the bunch with a release date of 1 year ago. Its age will show with its specs...

Olympus... its going to be tough to get opinions... it is relatively new to the market. Olympus for many years lead in the P&S market... just recently giving up some of that market to other digital manufacturers. My wife's 730 (I think.. waterproof one) works fine for her... never had problems.. takes decent pictures.

At the price point of the Fuji and Olympus... I'd also seriously consider the G7 or a used G6 by Canon. The Canon G series is well known to be a wonderful P&S line... the G7 has disappointed some with missing features that were in all previous G's. If those features are not important (Raw being one), then it shouldn't be a worry. Canon does make some of the best image processors for their cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back