A Comparison of the EOS XTI and the D40X

scsomike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, i'm really new to this so this may not even be apples to apples so to speak. the camera will totally be for personal use. i shoot people, places, action and whatever i happen to see that i think would be worthy of a shot. this will be for hobby of course, but sometimes when i get into hobbies, i get really serious, so i don't want a P&S. i picked both of these because i like the features i've seen on both. they are both 10mp and in the same price range with the 18-55 lens.

that being said, which would you choose and why?

Thanks.

Personally I might be more inclined to go for the XTi for a couple of reasons; it has a more advanced autofocus system, and will work fully with any Canon EOS lens whereas the D40x will not autofocus with several (current as well as older) Nikon AF lenses. But to be honest they compare very well and it would have to come down to which feels better to you. More importantly once you buy an SLR you buy into a system. Both Canon and Nikon offer an extensive range of excellent lenses and accessories so you can't go far wrong with either, but they are different systems and I strongly recommend looking at their systems as a whole rather than at individual camera bodies. Also there are the more basic practical issues, for example there may be a good Nikon or Canon dealer near you, you may know someone with one or the other who can lend you lenses, etc.

And now in the words of the Isley Brothers,

It's your thing,
Do what you wanna do,
I can't tell you,
Who to sock it to.

:mrgreen:

well as it happens i have several dealers near by that carry nikon and canon in addition to most other major brands. i know that the d40x doesn't have the built in AF motor in the body, so that's a draw back there i guess. like i said, all of the dslr technology is really new to me so any advice i can get i'm gonna run with!

Hey I`m real new here... and I asked for help the other day and that helped me bunches. (thanks so much everyone!) Plus I did so much reading for 3 days my head was spinning... I found something thats really neat and helped me make up my mind on what camera to pick... so heres the link its a super idea. You put in your camera choices and then compare exact pictures that they both took under the same conditions...... Make sure you second click on your picture that your viewing because it will really blow up the details. Its a really neat.. good luck and have fun with it.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

In all honesty I dont see a point in the D40X. The D40 sure, its a super cheap camera that throws you into the world of DSLRs. The D40X is just a 10MP version (plus and minus a few things) that costs 200 dollars more, so suddenly your cheap entry level camera isn't so cheap (defeating the purpose in my opinion).

I recommend you check out http://www.popphoto.com/ in their reviews section. they have tested the D40X and the XTi and will be able to give you comparisons of both, and help you decide which features are important.

But, for what its worth I'd choose the XTi over the D40X.

The XTi has a 9 point autofocus from the 30D.
The D40x from hat I've heard has a 3 point autofocus system.......

I'd stop there.

you may also take a look at the rebel xt, the xti basically gives you 2 more af points and 2 mp, slightly faster continuous shooting. Look at the reviews, you are not going to see any difference in the photo quality, unless you are blowing your pics up huge, and the xti gets less battery life.
personally I didn't think it was worth $200 more for the xti. When I decide to spend more money on a better camera I wil save up and shell out for a 5D.

About the XT vs the XTi. I have an XT, my friend an XTi and honestly I like the XT a little more. The XT is much cheaper has has a mini lcd above the main lcd has shows the cameras settings, the XTi doesnt have this, they replaced t with a single larger lcd which I dont see the need for.

As for the d40x vs the XTi, you may be able to get a d80 for really not to much more then the XTi. So look around for that.

Most reactions

Back