A couple attempts at Newspaper quality Photojournalism

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Almost all month long we have had some shty weather, Rain, snow and some heavy wind, the rain and snow not severe just constant. Well today was a beautiful day so I grabbed my P-shooter and went to try some journalistic type pics of some of the stuff weather caused around the house. no PP to them I just put them up on PB as was.

jimmyrigged sump pump line laying out in me back yard from constantly needing to pump out the basement :)
100_2555.jpg

wind ripped this off the sofets of the house
100_2556.jpg

and I was unable to get an angle on the shingles that got ripped off the roof but...

I could pp these and improve the composition with some basic cropping but I'd kinda like to get this down pat so I can maybe get lucky one day and be able drop future pics of this type to the press straight out of camera.

Thoughts....suggestions,

Well, I take them these are just a "press release" you had composed in your mind to which these photos might serve as an illustration? For unless there is any real harm for any real (amount of) people, no paper would report about weather damage on one private home, would they?

So it would be fun to be reading your (never to be published, of course, but "mock-published") article that would go with these. Maybe if you told your story in newspaper wording, it would add to the pics.

As they are, they have very little meaning to me.

Which makes me think of something totally off topic ... but only NOW, upon coming home from the shops in the neighbouring town, I saw a police car parked in one of the walkways leading into the woods, and a normal, unmarked car a little further inside, too, plus a hearse! Now that arouse my (public!) interest, but I did not have a camera on me, and was all unable to stop there, too. But I am now curious to hear what had happened!!! ;)

Well, I take them these are just a "press release" you had composed in your mind to which these photos might serve as an illustration? For unless there is any real harm for any real (amount of) people, no paper would report about weather damage on one private home, would they?

So it would be fun to be reading your (never to be published, of course, but "mock-published") article that would go with these. Maybe if you told your story in newspaper wording, it would add to the pics.

As they are, they have very little meaning to me.

Which makes me think of something totally off topic ... but only NOW, upon coming home from the shops in the neighbouring town, I saw a police car parked in one of the walkways leading into the woods, and a normal, unmarked car a little further inside, too, plus a hearse! Now that arouse my (public!) interest, but I did not have a camera on me, and was all unable to stop there, too. But I am now curious to hear what had happened!!! ;)

Here locally at the least, Weather get a lot of coverage, In fact last week one of the Buffalo stations had news crews literally recording people setting up their and using their sump pumps along with some deep puddles (or as they call it "flooding") that forms in the streets due to the excessive rain fallm, that was aired on the six o'clock news.

You are right that the damage to an insugnificant private home like mine would peak intrest to no one, but as an illustration of the damaging winds and rain that we have gotten they would atleast stand a chance at printing but I would assume they would need several reports of moderate damage first, witch aside from my roof this prolly won't qualify as.

On top of that our local paper is pathetic, some of the most minor things make the front page. Believe it or not, I had a shot for the front page (not out of these of course) but I missed out because I missed the deadline.

As far as writing, I'd just as soon leave that to the professionals....I suck :)

I was curious and DID see :D :D :D.

No news ANYWHERE (by the way) on why there was the hearse in the woods. Hmph. If I am "the public" (albeit only a tiny part of it), then "the public" was interested! Tsk! ;)

I was curious and DID see :D :D :D.

No news ANYWHERE (by the way) on why there was the hearse in the woods. Hmph. If I am "the public" (albeit only a tiny part of it), then "the public" was interested! Tsk! ;)

I have heard of cases (albeit very rare) where people are granted permission to be buried at their favorite hunting grounds or some other wierd location that they spent a large portion of their life. It that case it would prolly not get more than a note in the obituary. But the presence of the police leaves me wondering.

What I heard (through the grapevine) is that a day earlier the police had been out in the area with dogs. Seems like one of the residents of the Old People's Home (suffering from dementia) had gone missing ... and may not have survived his getting lost in those woods. They are not large, but maybe too large for someone who is all desoriented. Who knows? But I would still have expected to at least find a little article on something like this in the paper. I mean: the police being out with several dogs and all??? The person later found dead in the woods? That is "news" for me (at least for our community). Oh well.

What I heard (through the grapevine) is that a day earlier the police had been out in the area with dogs. Seems like one of the residents of the Old People's Home (suffering from dementia) had gone missing ... and may not have survived his getting lost in those woods. They are not large, but maybe too large for someone who is all desoriented. Who knows? But I would still have expected to at least find a little article on something like this in the paper. I mean: the police being out with several dogs and all??? The person later found dead in the woods? That is "news" for me (at least for our community). Oh well.

I agree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back