A couple from my latest glacier hike

Interesting images. Where were they taken and what is that object trapped in the ice?

WesternGuy

Nice color and images.

The first one could use a bit of exposure correction, and the image could be a little sharper in my opinion.

Here's what I would do.

31778371044_d97cd8032a_k-2.jpg

A bit of clarity; boosted shadows; brought down highlights; high pass sharpening; and a bit of dodging/burning.

I really am intrigued by #2! What the heck is that? A boulder? Or is it smaller, and merely a rock?

Interesting images. Where were they taken and what is that object trapped in the ice?

WesternGuy

This is the Portage Glacier, in Alaska. In the summer it's only accessible by tour boat, but in the winter you can hike a few miles across the frozen lake to reach it. The second photo is a shale pebble, about 1" square.

The first one could use a bit of exposure correction, and the image could be a little sharper in my opinion.

Here's what I would do.

View attachment 134240

A bit of clarity; boosted shadows; brought down highlights; high pass sharpening; and a bit of dodging/burning.

Thanks for working on this, Daryll. I think your edit is a lot more dramatic and interesting to look at than mine. I'm still a novice in LR, but I had already adjusted this image to my "reality limit", and I guess I should have included some details in my first post. I took the highlight slider to zero, shadow slider to 100, and adjusted the blacks and whites to just short of clippping. I used a grad filter to bring down the sky's exposure to match the foreground a little better, and I used split toning to increase the sunset colors in the sky and reflections off the snow/ice. Your edit is beautiful, and does make me think about the balance between accurately depicting the subject and creating art with visual impact.

WesternGuy

This is the Portage Glacier, in Alaska. In the summer it's only accessible by tour boat, but in the winter you can hike a few miles across the frozen lake to reach it. The second photo is a shale pebble, about 1" square.

Here's what I would do.

View attachment 134240

Thanks for working on this, Daryll. I think your edit is a lot more dramatic and interesting to look at than mine. I'm still a novice in LR, but I had already adjusted this image to my "reality limit", and I guess I should have included some details in my first post. I took the highlight slider to zero, shadow slider to 100, and adjusted the blacks and whites to just short of clippping. I used a grad filter to bring down the sky's exposure to match the foreground a little better, and I used split toning to increase the sunset colors in the sky and reflections off the snow/ice. Your edit is beautiful, and does make me think about the balance between accurately depicting the subject and creating art with visual impact.

Well part of it was Lightroom, most of it Photoshop. I just like making images that stand out - that are sharp and contrasty. You gotta figure out what works for you.

First one is very eye catching. Honestly nothing to say. Depth between glaciers and between glaciers and sky make it look almost like a painting. Second one may benefit from a tighter crop, possibly offsetting the subject in the ice. Not sure

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

First one is very eye catching. Honestly nothing to say. Depth between glaciers and between glaciers and sky make it look almost like a painting. Second one may benefit from a tighter crop, possibly offsetting the subject in the ice. Not sure

Thanks Krello. I tried a crop on #2, rule of thirds and all that, and it didn't look as good to my eye. Cropping away the left side of the frame lost a lot of the wormy bubbles that I think are fascinating. Cropping away the right side lost the contours and out-of-focus area that gives it some depth.

I like the #2 the best. :)

Thanks Krello. I tried a crop on #2, rule of thirds and all that, and it didn't look as good to my eye. Cropping away the left side of the frame lost a lot of the wormy bubbles that I think are fascinating. Cropping away the right side lost the contours and out-of-focus area that gives it some depth.
Yeah the bottom left corner and right aide both have i teresting elementa. You are provavly right on this. Just hard to go from the first one to something you kinda have to aearch for. I am on my phone though so I get picky avout snall subjects which would probably stabd out a lot more if the inage was bigger.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back