A couple Mamiya questions

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by J Man, Jan 8, 2010.

1. J Man

J Man TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a RB67 Pro SD. I have noticed that there are special lenses with a k/l, what makes these lenses different than other lenses for the RB? Are there advantages to these lenses over the regular ones?

i also have a C3 TLR. Can I use any lens off a Mamiya TLR or are there special ones? Most of the lenses I see on E bay say they are listed for the C330. If there are certain lenses I need, how do I identify these from the other lenses?

Being I have 5 different cameras I would like to have 1 tripod for using all of them. Can anyone recommend a good tripod that would be able to handle the heavier RD without being too much for the smaller 35mm and digital camera I have?

Thanks

2. J Man

J Man TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    72 people looked and no answers? I guess I came to the wrong place.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    This eBay user's group forum post has some valuable information on how to locate and buy RB stuff on eBay's huge market, and also has a bit of info about the K/L lenses, which are apparently newer, improved versions of the earlier C series lenses. Some lenses, like their 50mm, have apparently not been updated to the K/L designation.

Mamiya RB67 Pro SD Medium Format Film Camera: items on eBay.com

I'm not that familiar with the RB and its in's and out's, but a google search on the words Mamiya RB67 + k/l lens turned up several hits.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I acquired an RB67 last year, I still haven't gotten around to using it yet though.

I did a bit of research and I think that the K/L lenses are newer (and/or) better quality than the C series lenses.
    I'm fairly certain that you need to get lenses specific for the camera, I think they will have RB in their description....but there might be adapters for mounting different lenses. Given the large negative, I'd assume that it's more likely that people would use RB lenses on other cameras.

Along with the RB67 (and a bunch of studio gear) I got a heavy duty tripod for it. It's a Manfrotto, I don't remember the model number but I'm fairly certain it's an outdated model. Mounted on it, is a massive 3-way Manfrotto head.
    Manfrotto/Bogen will surely have several models that are sturdy enough for this...just check their website/catalog.

5. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. epatsellis

epatsellis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't neccesarily assume the newer lenses are better. Optically the C lenses are as good as it gets. While some may say the K/L series is sharper, at what point is it purely an exercise in specifications? I have several non C lenses that I am quite happy with, they're sharp as they need to be, and are fantastic for b&w work.

I'm surprised Paul didn't mention the repairability (or lack therof) of the "new" shutters vs. the older seiko's that just keep working and working.

7. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just hope everyone with broken old non-C and C lenses in their closets e-mail me first before throwing em out. I'll pay postage and buy em a drink for each one they throw at me.

paul ron, nyc
    automax1@juno.com

8. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a new Pro SD owner, thanks for the link.

9. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

I thought I had replied to this, but re: the C3 all the Mamiya TLR lenses are compatible with all the Mamiya TLR bodies.

Dave