A couple more HDR attempts - Torrevieja harbour statue

DwainDibley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've uploaded the original photo just now in the general section of the photo gallery, but I've had a go at HDR'ing the image. Did a couple of them using the Qtpfsgui programme, which do you prefer? Have I managed to get the levels/HDR correct or does it look a little 'over-processed'? This is a finished image by the way.

770961198_53e2af577b_o.jpg

EDIT: removed second image as I didn't read the guidelines first!

Its over saturated, too contrasty, really hurts the eyes and really doesnt appear to be much of a HDR image at all, just appears to be on image that had some filter work done to it. Perhaps it is an intresting image but not from what it is now

Thanks for the criticism, I did wonder if it had a bit too much of an 'over-processed' look, I'm new to HDR so still learning!

waaaaaaayyyy over processed. doesn't even look like a photo, looks like crayon or something . . . with some trippy 70's colors

if you like it thats fine . . . but in terms of what i consider photography this might would be outside that realm, and be closer to digital media or something

I feel that with this pp work you have clearly left the realms of PHOTOGRAPHY and entered those of Graphic (Arts) ... it is a nicely composed photo to begin with, and for some purpose this way of overprocession may even be good. Much depending on what you really want to say or what a thus processed photo is for.

Oh, I am only now reading Mike's post before mine.
How silly must mine sound now that I am practically copying his words - I didn't mean to! Oops :oops:

All in all I meant to say that to pass this off as your PHOTO, it goes way overboard.

I'm still learning with the post-processing, all these comments are helping me with that, might have further goes with HDR images to see what I come up with. As previously stated, I do like the image but on reading the comments it doesn't really look like a picture, I probably moved a couple of sliders a bit too far! :p

I feel that this picture may not have been a good one to use for HDR, not quite enough contrast in it maybe?

Are you creating this HDR effect by combining multiple exposures or doing post-processing on a single shot?

I like what you are doing in the shot, but the colours are too intense/unnatural for my taste. The noise is also an issue in my opinion

Are you creating this HDR effect by combining multiple exposures or doing post-processing on a single shot?

I like what you are doing in the shot, but the colours are too intense/unnatural for my taste. The noise is also an issue in my opinion

I used a single photo, have yet to experiment with multiple exposures! That sounds complicated, but is on my to-do list :p

I used a single photo, have yet to experiment with multiple exposures! That sounds complicated, but is on my to-do list :p

It's not that hard. All you need is a tripod/something sturdy and software you could possibly already have.

HDR shots are images with an extended dynamic range. And the only way to really do this is to shoot the same frame at multiple exposures and combine them together. Although you can achieve HDR-like results using a single exposure, it still has the same range of tones

Hmm, how come the sky is that grainy?
the colours are sort of false colours and VERY intense ;)

it looks .... interesting.

but not pleasing the eye ;)

The grain's probably due to the process used, the original picture isn't that grainy (though I don't think I'd got the focus 100%), it's probably due to the settings I used.

If you used a single shot, you are not HDRing, you are post-precessing.

In fact, you only used the 'tone mapping' part of the HDR rendering process, and, yes, looks like you pushed some sliders a little bit too far. :)

I suppose the grain comes from the fact you have only one exposure and you certainly chose an 'highlight details' rendering engine. Did you? Engine is trying to amplify details but has mainly amplified noise because of a LDR picture used as a HDR.

It's a nice try, as graphic art.

Yes, its over-processed. More graphic art than photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back