a couple new ones

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SimplyMo, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SimplyMo

SimplyMo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmm... Well, both are under-exposed; the fish-eye shot maybe 1/3 stop, the hotel shot closer to a full stop. Remember, shooting into, or toward the sun is always going to cause exposure problems. When that situation occurs, try shooting at a different time of day. Generally however, I'm afraid the images don't do too much for me; I guess I'm not seeing what you see in them.

3. SimplyMo

SimplyMo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well in the motel image, first i was metering for the shadows (as the rule goes---expose for shadows develop for highlights..)..since i was using my digital camera, i checked the image after each shot... and i noticed that although i was getting a correct exposure for the shadows/ neutral grey areas (the building), my sky would be completely washed.. of course that's because of the sun, i was shooting against a bright background.. but the thing was, the sky was a really nice blue with just some white clouds.. so i sacrificed a little with the shadow areas to allow for the blue in the sky--by choosing an in between exposure... im still a beginner:???: does that make sense (what i tried)?

i sort-of liked the feel of the image.. but i guess we all have our own taste;) thanks for your honest opinion tirediron:wink:

as for the fisheye, that's still out of my ball park--im in experiemental stage with that..trying to figure it out..;)

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, that's how the rule goes if you're shooting film. The guidline for digital work is, "Expose for the highlights, process for the shadows".

Makes perfect sense!

And, at the end of the day, that's what really matters!

5. SimplyMo

SimplyMo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit