A couple of B&W - Old Buildings

I prefer the first, actually, but both are killer shots. If I were you, I'd put the first one in Photoshop and get rid of the distortion of the gate. You's have an amazing shot then. Very, very nice

Rahb, to make that Vignette I made an oval selection, inversed the selection, then feathered it. Then added a new radial gradient layer, played with the options and then reduced the opacity. Then I touched up the mask to taste.

-or if you have a film camera, a wide angle lens and a polarizer would have the same effect.

nice. the first would have been better if it had been more symmetrical.

nice work mike...both are excellent. really like yer perspective in # 1...have to try that around here....loads of churches like that.
the vignetting suits very well in the second. well done:D

Hey great shots! Sorry to ask but this is digital i take it? If it is film i would envy your burning technique but the circluar effect seems too perfect for film and the print quality would be outstanding if it was!

One more thing, you call the burning effect 'vignetting'....i've never heard this word before, i love it but i dont understand where its come from? Please fill me in! ;)

Nice one! (or 2!)

Great work - truly exhibition-quality. The subject matter is right up my alley (as a Russian photographer). I'm on my way to moscow in a few weeks to hopefully get some slavic shots as well. The churches make such great subject material...

JonnyD70s: vignetting is a darkening around the edges of a frame and is caused optically by obstructions around the lens - for example, an overly large lens hood or too small or too many stacked filters on the lens, or the wrong type of lens for a given camera [try the 18-70mm DX lens on a film camera for examples]. The effect can be mimicked digitally as described here.

Most reactions

Back