A couple of drag racing shots. C&C

Santa Gertrudis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Diesel drag racing is one of my other passions in life, and this was my first race to actually try and get shots that were worth a damn. This was my first time trying to capture movement as well. What are your thoughts?

Nikon D300s/Nikkor 18-200
Shutter Speed: 1/80th
Aperture: f/9
ISO: 200

Great job panning! What is your technique?

Thank you! I certainly appreciate it!

Basically, just follow the subject in the view finder until you like what you see, press the shutter, and keep following the subject throughout the exposure. It takes a few test shots to figure out the shutter speed it will take to get the blur that you want. I like around 1/80 most of the time (key word being MOST).

Thanks again!

These are good panning shots... I would like to see other perspectives though. Closer to the track, looking down the track, maybe some stop motion on a nice launch.

p!nK

These are good panning shots... I would like to see other perspectives though. Closer to the track, looking down the track, maybe some stop motion on a nice launch.

p!nK

I totally agree with you. If I could have gotten any closer to shoot, I would have. Down by the fence, the wall blocks WAY too much of the vehicle to make a decent shot, and the stands were packed so I couldn't get much closer to the starting line. Wish I could have gotten in where the pros were shooting! :(

Man, I can't remember for the life of me! I know he was having some bad traction issues that day though. The project is still being finished up. If I recall, he was in the low 11 second range. Not too bad considering it was all over the track, and he couldn't get it to launch worth a flip.

The little black ranger is actually the race truck we built for the diesel forum that I moderate on. That was it's first time on the track after being finished, and we were getting some solid 12s out of it with bad launches, and lots of uncertainty with a lot of things. It's powered by a fully built 6.0 liter Power Stroke. It's right at around 900hp with nitrous, and steadily growing. By the end of this year, we are hoping for single digit times out of it.

Thanks for looking, everyone!

great focus! I didn't know people drag race in pick up trucks love the vette

Good pans.

Crop away the distractions like the empty grandstand in the background.

That will also be like adding zoom to your camera and will make your intended main subjects be the largest single element in the image.

Observing compositional guideline, fill the frame with your main subject.

Last edited:
great focus! I didn't know people drag race in pick up trucks love the vette

Thanks! Yep, we are a select bunch of crazy guys that like our 3/4 ton trucks to run really fast. :mrgreen:

Good pans.

Crop away the ditractions like the empty grandstand in the background.

That will also be like adding zoom to your camera and will make your intended main subjects be the largest single element in the image.

Observing compositional guideline, fill the frame with your main subject.

Thanks Keith! I will re-crop them, and show you what I come up with.

Man, I can't remember for the life of me! I know he was having some bad traction issues that day though. The project is still being finished up. If I recall, he was in the low 11 second range. Not too bad considering it was all over the track, and he couldn't get it to launch worth a flip.

The little black ranger is actually the race truck we built for the diesel forum that I moderate on. That was it's first time on the track after being finished, and we were getting some solid 12s out of it with bad launches, and lots of uncertainty with a lot of things. It's powered by a fully built 6.0 liter Power Stroke. It's right at around 900hp with nitrous, and steadily growing. By the end of this year, we are hoping for single digit times out of it.

12s with 900hp? Was it on wet street tires? :lol:

I like the shots, good job with the panning.

12s with 900hp? Was it on wet street tires? :lol:

I like the shots, good job with the panning.

:lol: We were in and out of the throttle the whole time, and still getting the suspension dialed in, so yes. Right now, when the nitrous hits, it just looses traction. It's all getting worked out as we speak. Like I said, this was the first pass EVER in the truck.

Thanks for the kind words!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back