a couple of my AK-74 build

i was kinda debating over the background. i started with something close to what you did. i got my inspiration from a member of calguns.net, jeffu. he edits his and thet look something like mine but even better. im just trying to figure out what he does.
i've figured out that its more than lighting effects in cs3.

Nice looking weapon. I'm not a fan of the lighting though. It's not terrible, but there are lots of shadows on your background which detract from the image I think. Also, the backgrounds could use some more light on them, or mask and bring up the white in post.. they look a little gray.

#1 looks good except for the shadows and the off-white backdrop imo. I wonder what it would have looked like if you lit it from camera left as well.

I'm not feeling #2. The depth of field trails off and leaves the rear of the rifle blurry. There's also a weird warm color cast back there. Did you use different types of lights? It helps a lot if all the lights are the same color temp, less to fix in post anyway.

EDIT:
This is what I was thinking should be the goal. Maybe it's not the look you were going for, but then why use a white background?
Not going to go into great detail about the edit because I used a Photoshop plugin called Viveza, but I did create a layer to work on, brightened it up and then erased the gun from that duplicate layer.

kKXcd.jpg

Technically speaking, you should use ear plugs while using any firearm. I believe a quality air rifle (pellet rifle) can even cause hearing damage given the correct circumstances.

I was on my high school's rifle team. We only shot .22 LR, but try shooting that for just 10 minutes without ear protection. Not fun, and .22's aren't that loud, relatively speaking.
You might have misunderstood what I said. I said you should use ear plugs while using any firearm.

I was agreeing with you. :) Couldn't believe that MustLoveDragons didn't think it was needed to fire an AK-47 (or any firearm, for that matter) without ear protection.

I have been creeping in the shadows on this forum for a couple weeks now but this thread brought me out. Im out here with SEAL team 3 in Ramadi Iraq right now and have been thinking of taking a few shots of all the weapons to practice ie. SCAR HEAVY, SCAR LIGHT, M2 .50 cal, .50 cal sniper, AK 47s, M4s with any and everything you can think of, Sig 226, M9 Berretta 92 FS, SAW, etc. Im waiting on a new laptop I purchased to get out here before I do it though.

#1 looks alright but the shadow from the gun's shadow seems to distract me from the gun itself too much, after seeing that example of the type of image you were attempting to achieve I can see why.

#2 I'm not really feeling, the angle is kinda odd and the orientation seems questionable (to me an example would be taking a picture of a car upside down, as in what is the point of it). I do like that you were trying to achieve something different with the shot though.

I have been creeping in the shadows on this forum for a couple weeks now but this thread brought me out. Im out here with SEAL team 3 in Ramadi Iraq right now and have been thinking of taking a few shots of all the weapons to practice ie. SCAR HEAVY, SCAR LIGHT, M2 .50 cal, .50 cal sniper, AK 47s, M4s with any and everything you can think of, Sig 226, M9 Berretta 92 FS, SAW, etc. Im waiting on a new laptop I purchased to get out here before I do it though.

A) THANK YOU for your service to our country. God bless you and those you serve with. B) Go for it. I can't be the only one who would love seeing whatcha got. C) My husband just retired from the Navy after 21 years so anything you post will be double cool for me.

@ Gaerek: Like much of my life, I blame my father. I drink my coffee black bc my dad made fun of ppl who did otherwise. I love and raced old muscle cars bc my dad raised me with his Superbird (though he says he needs to address my "Chevy problem", one of these days). He said if you need to "Pu**y out and protect your sensitive little ears, you shouldn't be shooting"...which is probably odd since he was a jarhead, lol. I think they probably know better. (shrug) Dunno. It just is what it is. That was the first time in my life I had ever used them while shooting.

A) THANK YOU for your service to our country. God bless you and those you serve with. B) Go for it. I can't be the only one who would love seeing whatcha got. C) My husband just retired from the Navy after 21 years so anything you post will be double cool for me.

@ Gaerek: Like much of my life, I blame my father. I drink my coffee black bc my dad made fun of ppl who did otherwise. I love and raced old muscle cars bc my dad raised me with his Superbird (though he says he needs to address my "Chevy problem", one of these days). He said if you need to "Pu**y out and protect your sensitive little ears, you shouldn't be shooting"...which is probably odd since he was a jarhead, lol. I think they probably know better. (shrug) Dunno. It just is what it is. That was the first time in my life I had ever used them while shooting.

The part about ear protection reminds me a lot of riding a motorcycle (with a full face helmet at least, although I imagine its just as bad if not worse with your ears exposed from wearing a half helmet). When I first started out I did not wear any ear protection and didn't think it was a big deal, now I wear in ear headphones, the noise reducing kind, and while they are nowhere near the same as actual plugs it's hard for me to imagine riding without them at anything above 40 mph.

When you say "AK build" did you actually build the rifle? ie fold the reciever flat, swap out all the needed compliance parts or just buy the gun and dress it up? I for one use hearing protection every time i go out. I shoot trap for competition, 150rds of 12ga per week without hearing protection would be devistating on my hearing. I expect a full range report on this!

I just dressed this one up. It started it's life as an arsenal sgl 31. I have however built a couple from parts kits. Both bulgarians. My next one I'm hoping will be a krinkov or draco but we'll see. I also have an ar project going right now.

Whats your AR after looking at the POF .308 then at my bank account and back about 20 times I got a Ruger SR 556 and threw an EO tech on top. My favorite gun I own however is my Henry lever action .22LR

Most reactions

Back