A Couple of Photos For C&C

ViceOfFire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm new here, and new to photography (2 weeks young) in general. Allow me to start by asking you to please be as harsh as possible, as criticism is the only way I'll learn. The images have seemingly a lot of post, so I've included the originals.

Please bare in mind that I know the PP looks over the top on the first one, it was intended for the surrealistic look. And the symbolism I tried to convey was how we all rely on things to keep us sane (not necessarily medication), and then wake up one day and realize we've changed. Feel free to edit any of them, too.

1) No Photoshopping whatsoever, just HDR in Photomatix, I understand if people dislike HDR.
HandHDRcolour.jpg

Original
handorig.jpg

2) Slight levels adjustment, cropping and B&W conversion
MagpieBW800.jpg

Original w/ no cropping
magpie940.jpg

I like 2 more than 1 but they are both good.

the color version i think is better but keep the cropping. there is good contrast between the bird and the grass.

Interesting images, C&C per req:

1. I'll be honest, I don't see your intended symbolism, but that doesn't mean too much, as I often don't 'get' what an artist is trying to say. I do like HDR images, however in the last few months they seem to have become a much over-used medium. What your HDR looks like to me is a dirty hand, in fact while it was loading my first thought was "Coalminer"? I think perhaps this image would work better as a straight exposure, using a reflector image upper left to more evenly illuminate the hand.

2. One of the keys to a good mono conversion is starting with a technically good image. In this case you have some serious exposure issues with very bright highlights as well as deep shadow. The overall result of the conversion is a rather mid-tone rich (grey), muddy image. A good B&W should have the full range from crisp white to deep black. All of that aside, this is one of those captures where you really can't do much. It happens when it happens, and you can't run around setting up lights and reflectors and popping fill flashes to see what things look like...

Good job, keep it up, looking forward to more.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks guys.

Sebastian: Yeah I understand why you like the colour better, it's kinda hard to distinguish things apart in the mono. I may try the colour version and play around with it a little to help the levels.

John: Thankyou for your honesty, the hand was in fact mean to look dirty, "zombie-like" if you may:p. When you say reflector image, may I ask what exactly you mean? I know of reflectors used in photography (which I will need to make when I get a flash gun), but I don't understand "reflector image" in this context. If you would be so kind as to elaborate, that would be great. I understand what you mean how it would look better as a straight exposure, and that was my first thought, I wanted it to have a completely sterile look. I'll probably do a bit more playing around too.

For the second one, I agree, the blown highlights and muddy midtones suck :(. One of the main reasons I did the B&W conversion was to try and rescue it, but it didn't seem to work from what I hear. I'll give them both a little bit more playing around with (levels etc). Thanks for the advice.

Some ways that you can try and create stronger black and white images is to explore how you do the conversion with curves and other methods, and with dodging and burning to bring out the focal point of the image.

In the first image, I think the original image is stronger than the edited version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back