A couple of real buttes

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by ccd333, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ccd333

ccd333 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took this shot early this morning on the Pawnee Buttes trail near Grover, Colorado. A particular kind of sedimentary composition is what allowed the buttes to erode at a slower rate than their surroundings....they stand out like sentinels over the entire area (the eastern plains of Colorado).

Sony DSC-W1
    ISO 100
    1/500
    Tripod

[​IMG]

2. leecheewei85

leecheewei85 TPF Noob!

it has that inselberg-like structure to it. yet, it is sedimentary rock... COOL!!!

Like the photo.... so geographical!~

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nice! It's hard to stop looking at. Excellent placement of light (choice of time-of-day).

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Its a nice shot. Where you using a really wide, wide angle, because the curve of the horizon on the right side is kind of weird.

5. jhall251

jhall251 TPF Noob!

I like it, especially the texture in the foreground. I wonder what it would have been like taken closer to ground level, emphasizing the earth strecthing out to the horizon even more. To me the earh and the textures are more eyecatching than the sky and buttes. Good light for emphasizing the textures...

...Looking at it again it looks like you are up on a trail looking down towards the buttes? And the foreground is down also - initially I thought you were on the same level as the foreground rocks.

6. ccd333

ccd333 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all of the comments.

Kevin, no wide angle conversion lens....just the widest setting on the camera. The terrain looks weird because it really does drop off pretty quickly there.

jhall, I thought about going lower....but I wanted to have a little bit of land surrounding the buttes underneath to give them a sense of origin. And you are correct in your analysis of the terrain upon which I took the shot. Good thinking.

7. MostlyDigital

MostlyDigital TPF Noob!

I'm so jelous I live in an urban setting. Awesome landscape, but I would love to see some more contrast....