a crazy idea...

Chine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A crazy idea strolls in my mind. I have a small darkroom and I want to form some homebrew develop and fixer acid. How about it? I'm crazy or is it possible?

Last edited:
If you mean buy the raw chemicals and mix your own developer and fixer?

Sure it can be done. People have been doing that for the past 160 years.

yes, I know, but is it a workable solution? Where could I find a good recipe? What equipment I need?

yes, I know, but is it a workable solution? Where could I find a good recipe? What equipment I need?

Homemade developer: Caffenol. A few links to start: Caffenol and http://www.caffenol-cookbook.com/

I use it exclusively so if you decide to try it, I'm happy to help you out.

As for the fixer, I still use Ilford Rapid Fixer, but there are recipes for using a salt solution. The issue with that is I think the negatives don't last as long, but I suppose that's only an issue if you are worried about passing the negatives down to kids/grandkids.

A crazy idea strolls in my mind. I have a small darkroom and I want to form some homebrew develop and fixer acid. How about it? I'm crazy or is it possible?

I did it quite a bit.

The formulation isn't difficult. Review the chemical MSDS and common lab sense for safe handling. Some raw chemicals such as pyro- are probably better left alone, but just about everything else, it's doable.

Finding a decent textbook is the only hard part. I had one, but I gave it away with my chemicals and don't remember what it's called.

Steve Anchell knows more than we're likely to forget.

Photographers Formulary can supply you with more than you'll likely ever need.

They can supply with you with all the MSDS and are happy to chat over the phone for personal advice on your setup.

Take a look at the links, then give it a go and have fun!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First of all, thank you for the advice.

Homemade developer: Caffenol. A few links to start: Caffenol and Caffenol Recipes Help Tutorials The Caffenol Cookbook Bible

I use it exclusively so if you decide to try it, I'm happy to help you out.

As for the fixer, I still use Ilford Rapid Fixer, but there are recipes for using a salt solution. The issue with that is I think the negatives don't last as long, but I suppose that's only an issue if you are worried about passing the negatives down to kids/grandkids.

maybe I'll start with developer. If I decide to try Caffenol, I'll contact you. I think your links are very useful to start with homemade developer.

Steve Anchell knows more than we're likely to forget.

Photographers Formulary can supply you with more than you'll likely ever need.

They can supply with you with all the MSDS and are happy to chat over the phone for personal advice on your setup.

Take a look at the links, then give it a go and have fun!

The book look like interesting, but I couldn't use it so much.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are a lot of developers out there that have not been tested. I never got to actually making the developer, but i did run several extracts of tobacco. There are a lot of interesting compounds in tobacco once you take out the tar, which is easy to do - just run it through water then isolate the aromatic compounds with a non-polar solvent, I used terpenoid, and separate the two layers. The compound would then be evaporated, dissolved in ethanol and activated into a developer.

I keep trying to convince someone to try making a developer with Urushiol. Thus far I haven't found anyone who wants to give it a go.

There are a lot of developers out there that have not been tested. I never got to actually making the developer, but i did run several extracts of tobacco. There are a lot of interesting compounds in tobacco once you take out the tar, which is easy to do - just run it through water then isolate the aromatic compounds with a non-polar solvent, I used terpenoid, and separate the two layers. The compound would then be evaporated, dissolved in ethanol and activated into a developer.

I keep trying to convince someone to try making a developer with Urushiol. Thus far I haven't found anyone who wants to give it a go.

wow, I study agriculture science and I deal with botany and chemistry every day. This argument is very interesting to me! Would be very fascinating to try the reducing extract of various plants to develop our film.

wow, I study agriculture science and I deal with botany and chemistry every day. This argument is very interesting to me! Would be very fascinating to try the reducing extract of various plants to develop our film.

There have been folks playing with tea and wine as a developer base. Coffee is already known to work. I'm sure there are other plant-based formulae that could work.

Great! I would have more time to experiment all this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back