A day at the skate park...

chammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
something a little different for me (not puppy pics! yay!). went out to a local park known as mt. trashmore, and they have a skate park there. shot a ton of shots, but these (and more on flickr if you care to look) were my favs....

bear in mind that all of these were stretching my poor 75-300mm pretty good. most all were shot at 300mm and cropped as i was some 200 or more feet away so the quality isnt the greatest. couldnt get any closer sadly, but im still able to be impressed by what this cheapy lens can pull off!

the rest of the set, if you care to look, can be seen at:

50D - Mt. Trashmore Skate Park - a set on Flickr

there are 7 additional photos there in addition to these 5.

The first one and the last one don't do much for me, but the middle three I think are great. I especially like the close cropping on the early grab shot, because I can relate and it's an accurate representation. If you want a more dynamic shot that exaggerates the size of his air, stand on the deck of the ramp with a super wide angle. This would have looked like a couple of feet above the coping.
Like I said, though, I like the way this is composed because I like the way that trick feels and this is a realistic capture.
Oh, also worth noting, on a smaller ramp, this close of a shot wouldn't work because the size of the trick is lost without more of the background to put it in context. Because you can see that this is a full on vert ramp, though, it works. Good job!

thanks guys!

ambrose: im going to try and make this a regular weekend thing if i can so i can get known. reason being is that the park doesnt allow spectators inside the skate area. im hoping if i can get known as a "photographer" by the park people that they'll make an exception and i can get those cool wide angle/down low/super close shots of the skaters in action.

i saw a dude shooting video inside the area so it does seem possible. just not sure how he managed to be allowed in to do that.

Many times, all it takes is asking with enthusiasm. It helps if you have business cards.

Well done, i am loving number 3!

can you tell me what kind of editing you did to #2 in order to achieve those colours?

i was looking for the youtube video where i found this simple trick, but i couldnt locate it. both 2 and 5 have the same editing done. basically, via photoshop cs4 (my copy of cs2 doesnt seem to have the b&w adjustment layer option...cs3 may, but im not sure) i duplicate the layer and then set the duplicated layer to a blending mode of 'overlay'. i click back on the original layer and insert a b&w adjustment layer. from there you should be able to see an immediate effect, but you also get an adjustment layer dialog pop up with many different presets in it to choose from.

i cant recall which ones i actually chose for those two as i was mainly just bouncing around to get the effect i desired, but the 'green' preset was the one the video showed him using. i think i did end up using green on one and high contrast red on the other.

hope that made sense and helps!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back