A Day in the Life of the World

It's 10 AM to 12 *noon* Eastern time, 7 AM to 10 AM Pacific time, and so forth.

Sorry about the confusion :)

Make that 7 AM to *9* AM PDT time :)

The trick is to make sure that all the pictures are taken within 120 minutes of each other all over the world.

It's 10 AM to 12 *noon* Eastern time, 7 AM to 10 AM Pacific time, and so forth.

Sorry about the confusion :)

Californians get three hours but easterners get only two hours. Is that because Californians are slow?

Californians get three hours but easterners get only two hours. Is that because Californians are slow?

I think the term you're looking for is "laid back" :D

I'm with Socrates ... that is how the original "Day in the Life of ..." were photographed (there are a number of them).

Gary

PS- I'm in.
G

I'm with Socrates ... that is how the original "Day in the Life of ..." were photographed (there are a number of them).

Gary

PS- I'm in.
G

C'mon guys...

Is this "a day" in the life of the world or "two hours" in the life of the world? Anyone else agree with midnight-to-midnight local time?

You know, I was originally intending the same GMT two-hour interval in all cases. However, the more that I think about it, the more it makes sense to do 24 hours.

1. We can compare what various countries do at the same time of the day. Do people in Bhutan do different things at 8:00 AM than people in Nigeria?

2. The original purpose of the exercise will still apply: tack a time zone->GMT conversion on somewhere and you'll be able to figure out which photographs were taken at the same time.

3. A 24 hour interval will allow for more photographs, so you can pick the best ones.

4. A 24 hour interval will allow people to drive to interesting places to take the pictures. I won't be caught on my little airplane.

5. People in Hawaii won't be left out -- you won't get many 3 AM pictures or whatever it is over there according to the original plan.

With that in mind, make it 3/29 from 00:00 to 23:59 GMT. If it's going to be global, we need GMT.

This means we'll get some Friday shots as well: weekday as well as weekend
activites will be represented.

I'm going to be leaving for the Galapagos two days from now (the fact that I would be in the Galapagos is pure coincidence) and will be taking pictures assuming the 00:00 to 23:59 interval. Don't forget to write down the time you took the picture if possible.

This may actually work!

ACG

You know, I was originally intending the same GMT two-hour interval in all cases. However, the more that I think about it, the more it makes sense to do 24 hours.

1. We can compare what various countries do at the same time of the day. Do people in Bhutan do different things at 8:00 AM than people in Nigeria?

2. The original purpose of the exercise will still apply: tack a time zone->GMT conversion on somewhere and you'll be able to figure out which photographs were taken at the same time.

3. A 24 hour interval will allow for more photographs, so you can pick the best ones.

4. A 24 hour interval will allow people to drive to interesting places to take the pictures. I won't be caught on my little airplane.

5. People in Hawaii won't be left out -- you won't get many 3 AM pictures or whatever it is over there according to the original plan.

With that in mind, make it 3/29 from 00:00 to 23:59 GMT. If it's going to be global, we need GMT.

I'm going to be leaving for the Galapagos two days from now (the fact that I would be in the Galapagos is pure coincidence) and will be taking pictures assuming the 00:00 to 23:59 interval. Don't forget to write down the time you took the picture if possible.

This may actually work!

ACG

That sounds cool.

So... What time and day would that be in New York? :D

12 midnight 3/29 GMT (assuming GMT is always on Standard Time no matter what country you're in) means your 24 hour window starts

7 PM Fri 3/28 EST == 8 PM EDT since we have Daylight Savings Time
4 PM Fri 3/28 PST == 5 PM PDT
2 PM Fri 3/28 Alaska/HI standard time (3 PM?)
5 AM Sat 3/29 for at least part of India assuming standard time
10 AM Sat 3/29 for eastern Australia (assuming standard time)

These were just random places I picked on a time zone map.

This may actually work!

ACG

OK. I'll go with that.

12 midnight 3/29 GMT (assuming GMT is always on Standard Time no matter what country you're in) means your 24 hour window starts

Did you know that Greenwich, England is not on GMT? That's why GMT is now officially UTC. (This has nothing to do with the project - it's just that I like trivia.)

Me and time are not friends. I am still so confused :confused::confused::confused:
Let me see if I get this right, On Friday evening at 7pm
it begins for the people of the Eastern United states
and it finishes at 7Pm on Saturday Night?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back