A decent lens to starts with

texkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. As mentioned in my introduction, I have just purchased a Sony A200. So far I am having a blast experimenting with it.

I noticed that Minolta lens will fit my Sony, also read that Sony bought out Minolta (which makes sense). I see that some pretty decent Minolta lens are sold on eBay. But, I don't know were to start.

I primarily like to take "random" photos. A side of a building, the tread on a tire, my dogs, my feet, and sometimes people. If there is one thing I love to take pictures of, that would be buildings and nature, both far and close.

What lens would you recommend? I currently have the OEM 35-70mm lens that came with the camera.

For both landscape and cityscape, it's hard to go wrong with a good wide-angle zoom. I don't know the Minolta line-up very well, but I would look for something in a fast (f4 or faster) wide zoom; eg 12-24 range.

That OEM 35-70mm is not that bad for what you outlined there, I would stick with that for a little wile and pick up a couple primes to stick on the ends of the focal range.

I'd look towards maybe a 85mm 1.4 or a 100mm 2.8 and maybe a 28mm 2.8.

Oh and a 50mm 1.7, just because everyone should have a 50mm prime.

Thanks guys. I'll look around then for something as described.

Battou said:
That OEM 35-70mm is not that bad for what you outlined there, I would stick with that for a little while....

I was kinda worried about it for a while. But, you do have a point.

Ooops! Correction: I don't have a 35-70mm lens. It's a 18-70mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back