A digital guy getting into film. Help?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a digital nikon user, as you can see from my signature, however I've been wanting to get into film for awhile. Digital will be my main source of photography for its cost efficiency, but I've always wanted another cheaper body to bring places I'm too afraid to bring my D40.

I found a Nikon N60 body on ebay for about $38. It looks really nice, but where is this body up on the "food chain" of bodies? I know that with digital its D40, D60, D80, D300 and D3. So what is the order with film, and how good is this body? Also, will my lenses work with the N60? Does the N60 have an in-body autofocus motor that will autofocus with my 50mm F/1.8D prime? Will my 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DX work with the N60?

In terms of build quality the N60 is at the lower end of the 'food chain'. A bit like the D40,D40x and D60 in the digital world. Your 50mm will autofocus on the N60 but the 18-55mm will NOT work (it is designed for a sensor smaller than a piece of 24x36mm film).

Thanks. What is the order of the Nikon bodies, from consumer to prosumer?

Also, I found a Nikon N8008 AF for $10 more. Is that any better?

Nikon's "food chain" for film camera names is similar to digital, but instead of a "D3, D300, D80" you have the "F5, F100, F90" (see the pattern?)

The n8008 is basically an "F80"

Pro = F6, F5, F4
Prosumer = F100
Consumer = F90, F80 etc.

If you're interested in a nikon film camera, I'd SERIOUSLY recommend a nikon f100... it will cost you about $200 used, but it's worth it.

Eh, this will be primarily a backup camera. I'm not looking for anything fancy. That $200 could be used toward a good lens for my D40. I'm not really willing to spend much more than $50. I just want something that will work and is similar or slightly superior to my D40, but is not old as heck.

If the D40 was a film camera, what would it be? The N50? Also, what are the advantages of later consumer bodies over the N60 and N50? What is the difference between "n" and "f"?

If you're interested in a nikon film camera, I'd SERIOUSLY recommend a nikon f100... it will cost you about $200 used, but it's worth it.

I agree 100%. I just got mine and love it. I mentioned in another thread that it's the best film camera i've ever used. I wish I were holding it in my hand right now. My d70 feels like a toy now.... but if your budget can't handle that much, see if you can get an N90. It's the next step down from F100.

edit: On the consumer cameras = "N" American market "F" European market.. the pro cameras were "F" in all markets (F2, F3, F4, etc.)

Last edited:
I don't think I'm gonna spend that money on a film body. My question now is what are the advantages of the N65 over the N60?

Your 18~55mm AFs lens for the D40 will only work on the D40 (and D60 I think) due to the internal focusing motors in the lens. So if you want to go to an analog camera you would need lenses for a film camera basically. I have an Nikon N90s, and it's a nice, big camera.

I also have a Nikon N65, and would recommend maybe going up to the N75, or N90s. The N65 was a bit of a let down to me features wise. I have an N75 also, and it is a big step up from the N65.

The link that bhop gave you is a really reat source of info on that model camera. He also reviewed the N75, and the N90s.

This is just my 2 little sheckels.

I believe AF-S lenses will work with the N65. I just thought it wouldn't because the lens is DX and not D. I have a 50mm F1.8D that will work with the camera.

What will the N75 give you that the N65 wont?

Sounds like a good deal. (I assume you meant N75)

Of course *blushes*.

Most reactions

Back