A dive on the Titanic.

scubabear6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of our dive club had a chance to dive the Titantic abord the Mirs II subs and came to our meeting to tell us about it. He's holding a standard size styrofoam coffee cup after going down to over 12,000 feet.
P7194313a-2.jpg

Heres a close up of the cups.
P7194311a-1.jpg

Pressure makes them shrink that much?
Whoa. I never thought about that effect to happen, but ... makes sense. I mean, pressure is a lot more down there!!
But doesn't pressure in the diving submarine vessel they use for such depths stay about (just "about!") normal?

OMG, what a fantastic experience to be able to dive the Titanic!!!!! My mind just boggles at the thought. And how interesting to see the effect on the styro cups.

Whoa. I never thought about that effect to happen, but ... makes sense. I mean, pressure is a lot more down there!!
But doesn't pressure in the diving submarine vessel they use for such depths stay about (just "about!") normal?
The pressure is around 250 tons per square inch at that depth. But inside it stays at normal pressures. If you developed a leak that deep your mind couldn't Comprehend how fast you would die.

that is amazing!

I have always fancied the Titanic and its history behind it, that is amazing that your friend got to go down there. I, too, never knew that those kind of cups shrank as you go down! Thanks for sharing! :D

They must put the cups on the outside of the sub to keep as souvenirs.

Most reactions

Back