A few favorites of the past month…

lextalionis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.motleypixel.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve been away for a bit. The whole month of October is very busy for me with the cub scouts because of popcorn selling. My whole garage is full of popcorn now. Next up, breaking out the pine wood derby tracks and conduct pine wood derby wood shop 101 for the whole pack
The season is quickly changing now, but even so, there’s still plenty out there to find. I was surprised to find so many anoles out and about this time of year.

All captured with a Canon 30D, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens, and this DIY Ring-Flash

#1 Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae)
3013993102_674a287199_b.jpg

#2 Anole Lizard
3013155549_b8fdeb2037_b.jpg

#3 Drone Fly (Bee Mimic)
3013159185_b6dc25d2a0_b.jpg

#4 Drone Fly (Bee Mimic)
3013158049_c382932efb_b.jpg

#5 Drone Fly (Bee Mimic)
3013993580_605710c468_b.jpg

#6 Honey Bee
3016340919_81f67c727e_b.jpg

#7 Honey Bee
3017172902_69cc35ec77_b.jpg

#8 Katydid Nymph on a knock-out rose
3017172256_d38504f40e_b.jpg

#9 Katydid Nymph on a knock-out rose
3017171826_9f6d6228cd_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Roy

Try as I might, I cannot find fault in these!

:biggrin:

I am thoroughly enjoying them, mostly so that lizard!

I dig #2,6,7 & 8 a lot. The rest don't catch me as much due to the overall composition. Great work!

The lizard and the bee shots stand out to me from this set! Another great series of macro shots from you :)

Fantastic shots! That's where I'd eventually like to get to. How close where you? Where the photos taken hand held?

amazing shots, i like all the colors. btw i saw that ring flash, and the thing looks beast, how much was it

oh nvm i didnt notice u made it urselft

Wow - great shots

Thanks for all the comments.

@TwoRails: With a 100mm macro lens at 1:1 or near 1:1 I'd say the end of the lens barrel is roughly 8 inches. As for hand-held, yes, 100% of my macro shots are hand-held and no where near 100% are all keepers. My keeper rate is roughly 10%.

The DIY Ring flash works like a champ. The materials cost roughly $40, but you will need some heavy tools such as a vice, dremel, tin snips, and large hammer.

I have plenty more examples taken with this DIY Ring-Flash on my flickr DIY-Ring-Flash Set

-Roy

Thanks for the info, lextalionis! I watched both of your videos, and looked at your shots in the link above: Fantastic is a word that comes to mind. I don't own a dedicated flash so I can't try your build out, but I do have the tools you mention. Even though I'm not much good at it (yet), I do like macro photography. I'm sure I'd get a ring flash before a regular flash...

Thanks for the info, lextalionis! I watched both of your videos, and looked at your shots in the link above: Fantastic is a word that comes to mind. I don't own a dedicated flash so I can't try your build out, but I do have the tools you mention. Even though I'm not much good at it (yet), I do like macro photography. I'm sure I'd get a ring flash before a regular flash...

Thanks, you bring up a very good point about the versatility of this DIY Ring-Flash and it's that you can use your exisitng flash. Please, to go out and spend a lot of money on a dedicated ring-flash, if you think you can build one of these.

-Roy

Simply Stunning!!! I cannot pick a favorite.

Mac,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back