A few for C&C please

Helios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I've been working on some macro shots- All were shot with a D40 and Sigma 70-300. I did a little post processing with Nikon's NX2 (still in the free trial) and trying not to overdo it. Thanks for looking!

BentLeaf.jpg

ColorfulLeaf.jpg

PinkNasturtium.jpg

LittleFlowers3.jpg

PersianShield.jpg

I really like the first and last ones. Good color and composition. The three in the middle are alright. The leaf photo looks like it had a lot done to it with post processing, and I don't usually dig that. The composition in the other two need work that cropping would solve. The edge of another pink flower in the third photo really spoils it for me. I would tone down the saturation/contrast/vibrance, and go in closer. I'd say take advantage of the rain drops, especially in the purple flower photo. Rain can add a lot to a flower photo, literally another element.

I think I agree that I over=processed the second photo... know when to say when, right? Attached is the more natural original.

Leaf.jpg

This is what I managed. I hope you don't mind. I really like the image, and I wanted to see the vibrance that I know was there at the time it was taken. :)

Leaf-1.jpg

...on second thought, it doesn't look the same as when I exported it...Back to the old drawing table!

Oneday... the revision looks good-- I like that the rock behind the leaf is lightened a bit. The lighting for this shot was not great... overcast afternoon in semi-shade. I tried a Tiffen 812 warming filter which seems to have helped bring out the original colors. I think some morning light would yield better results.

I noticed something odd in pic 4 above-- on the right side of the photo there is something that looks like a reflection or a raindrop. Although there was a slight mist outside, I was using a lens hood and nothing was on the lens... the anomoly does not appear in any other shot. Nothing else between the lens and the flowers. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I assume this isn't a macro lens, per se... it seems to lack some of the level of detail I'm used to seeing in a macro shot.

That being said, you can always sharpen things up a bit and whatnot.

For example, on your leaf shot, I did:

1. Contrast+10, Brightness+4
2. Saturation+9
3. Smart Sharpen+80%, 1 pixel radius

Got this...

Leaf.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back