A few for C&C

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went out last night to take some landscape shots about 5 min from my house. Was there about 40min before sunset and then half an hour after. It was super windy out, but I still brought my tripod and tried to take some pictures. I know that I should have used a smaller aperature for further depth of field in some of these but I will try again. Any and all C&C is welcome per usual and much thanks to those who comment.

4700218231_39a883b0ff_b.jpg

Now I worry I might have overdone it abit on the sunset here. This is right when the sun went down but Im sure you will all tell me.

4700859192_699ee88223_b.jpg

This one is my favorite.

4700224749_30fb8ec31c_b.jpg

4700868960_9a87096c32_b.jpg

1. 2. With a view like that, you have GOT to spend a few dollars on some G-NDs - those are nice images, but having the sky 1 or 2 stops darker (or the canyon 1 or 2 stops lighter) would have made a HUGE difference.

3. Potential, but the shadow on the LH side is distracting. I this might have had more impact if it were more at right-angles to the lens rather than parallel.

4. This is nice, but the very OOF grass stalk in the foreground is rather distracting. I think both this and #3 are 1/3 or so of a stop under-exposed.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Lol thanks tireiron, I know I am heading into Calgary this weekend to see what I can find. I havent been able to purchase one yet and Im not sure if a NDF or a CPF would be better for me at this point. Total newb here but I understand the principles behind each. I cropped out the most of that shadow on the left hand side on picture 3 and was perched precariously on a cliff edge lol wearing shorts so I didnt want to move too much. Its funny you say that about the angle because I actually flipped it on purpose. Yes I know the grass stalk was in the way but the wind was blowing so much I was happy to even get my flower mostly in focus. Thanks so much for the comments.

The polarizer is a much more versatile filter, and if the budget allows for only one or the other right now, then I'd get the that, but if you can afford a couple of Cokin graduated NDs as well, you'll not regret spending the money. As for the other points, understand, photography is often (usually?) about getting the best out of the situation. It's often not as good as we want, but as long as we try...

So here's a quick question because filters were next on my list of to purchase and I have 150$ ish to spend right now so how do I decide from these

Products: ND Filters | TheCameraStore.com

what would be good or do I go by what the sales guy tells me. I like to be forarmed with info so I wont be conned into spending more than I need to. Is it possible to buy a couple decent filters now with 150 or am I loony? I generally shop at B&H because its cheaper but will be in Calgary this weekend so was planning on stopping at the store anyhow.

Looking at the photo hurts my eyes...waaay too bright at the top...

2. Is pretty buy dull(dark)

My favorite

I also like this one

Thank you for sharing

For polarizers and neutral density filters round filters are fine. My preferenance is for B+W, but multi-coated Tiffen or Hoya are good. For graduated neutral density, I much prefer the gel filters (Cokin, Lee, Singh-Ray) since you can place the graduation where you want in the image. I think getting both a CPOL and G-NDs for $150 might be a little optimistic, since you'll need a Cokin holder as well as the filter(s). I would think that $200 - 225 should put you in the area, and don't forget to check for used. As long as they're not scratched and the threads aren't damanged, they'll be fine. I picked up a BIG lot (almost two dozen) Cokin P size gels, several holders, a Cokin CPOL and every size adaptor ring from 52mm to 77mm for $100 not long ago. Craig's List is your friend!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back