A Few from my First paying JOB

Holy Ghosted

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
here are some photos from my first paying job PLEASE let me know what you think. Please do not edit or use these photos.

182353203-L.jpg

182353144-L.jpg

182351200-L.jpg

182354473-L.jpg

182452612-L.jpg

182450741-L.jpg

182448277-L.jpg

182449607-L.jpg

Not bad except for the last two I do not think I would have chosen Mom's crotch as a background.

Photographing infants and children can be very difficult. Especially when I young infant cannot sit up and does not smile yet. Your lighting looks pretty good in most of these, but I think if I were you, I'd work on composition a little more.

In the 1 and 2, I find the curtains in the background to be distracting. I would have either pulled the blanket up a bit more, or had shot at a different angle so you only see the polka dot blanket.

3 is adorable. You might try getting a little bit higher above the baby and shoot down to get a better angle. My eyes are attracted to the hands in this one and I really should be looking at the eyes.

The hand around the baby in #4is very distracting. Either crop in tighter on the baby's face, or find a different way to support the baby.

#5, be sure the clothing is straigtened, the dress that is up around the face is a tad distracting.

#6 is my favorite out of all of them. Nice clean compostion and the baby has a cute expression

#7 and 8 the background is way to distracting. I love the eyes in #8, but the legs in the background are distracting. You might want to try cropping in or vignetting around it.

I hope my C&C wasn't too harsh. You had an adorable subject and these were very sharp and clear.

I am going to be honest, they look very unprofessional. Most of the shot you can see straight up the baby's nose. Try moving the baby at a 45 degree angle. Also, watch your backgrounds. Make sure you don't have something in the background you don't want. If you don't have any backgrounds go to a fabric store and get a few feet of pretty fabric to us. Also, watch for clothes bunching. Mom's don't like when the clothes are in baby's face. Keep practicing, you'll get it!

I will agree with what has been said. They aren't bad shots but they don't have that finished, professional look. That being said, I'll also agree that shooting infants is quite hard. They can't sit up and getting them to look at you is a challenge...let alone getting a good expression.

One thing you can do, is get in close. This will help with the bad looking backgrounds. Fill the frame with the face, get close up shots of the hands and feet...that kind of stuff.

I do like that you got down on her level on the last shot, but the background is still a problem. More importantly, this shot doesn't have catch lights...making the eyes into black holes. Always try to get some light into your subjects eyes...heck, add catch lights if you have to.

Thank you all for your replies Thank you Teachflute for giving me such detail to work with. A lot of what you all have pointed out I either did not see until I was doing pp or you pointed it out as you can see I need the pointers and all are appreciated. Thanks :)

What struck me more than what anyone else said were the bright points in the baby's eyes. Try dimming those saturated bits so they don't stand out as much.

I see that you are trying to prop the baby up. Just wanted to let you know that beanbag chair work awesome for that. Cover it with somehting nice and make a spot in there, you're all set. :)
Also they make a thing called a Boppy pillow. Good investment if you plan on doing baby shots cause you can either sit them inside it for more balance when they arent quite able yet or you can lay them on their bellies and prop them up on their elbows. :)

There is also a 3-way baby poser that you can find online. It is around $100 but it makes posing these floppy little ones much easier. What is also nice is that there are holes in it so mom can put her arm discreetly through and hold onto baby from the underside. Good luck, keep practicing.

Sarah

Thanks for all the tips, a beanbag chair I would of never thought of it and it is cheap. genus! Astrostu I don't fully understand what you are meaning are you speaking of the flash reflection. if so I do not know how to take that out all I have for pp is light room and I have not found a way to do that yet. if you or anybody would be willing to clarify that would be great. thanks

Most reactions

Back