A few from my photo walk today, C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by anm90, Mar 5, 2010.

1. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Decided to go on a photo walk today just before dinner and had some moderate success. It was a pretty hazy / high level overcast day and I struggled with blown out skies for most of the shots. Was able to sort of moderate the exposures and pull a little detail out of the sky in post. Here are the 4 photos that I think were best from today's walk.

I'm not entirely sure how much I like number 4... I think I might go back on a day with some darker weather and get a slightly different angle... maybe try sepia/B&W and a vignette to give it a darker feel.

All of these are lightly post processed in Lightroom. Mostly just some sharpening and contrast / exposure corrections and bringing out some of the color a little more. Also used my regular LCD monitor to edit these instead of the laptop monitor... I think it toned down my editing a bit because my laptop tends to portray images very flat and unsaturated.

I would greatly appreciate anything you have to say about any of the photos. I'm still learning :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for any input! :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I like all of these. #2 is a really nice composition, nice quality of the blur and not overly shallow on the depth of field.

#4 is a very powerful image I think, and is definitely my favorite. I 100% agree that it'd look interesting in black and white. I think it's nice in color though... depends on what you're going for I guess.

I made it black and white in photoshop and added a soft black vignette, just as an example really.

[​IMG]

3. MrRamonG

MrRamonG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the color image of 4. But maybe remove as much of the trail as possible.

4. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome :) I love the feedback. I think I am going to go get some other pictures of that tree tomorrow. It is supposed to rain tomorrow too so I may get some dramatic clouds. I think I will try some different angles that may make better use of a vignette / sepia tone. I want to make an image of this tree that has a very dark mood.

For now, here is my quick stab at making the image sepia and adding a vignette. Did I overdo the vignette?

[​IMG]

5. Mooshoo4

Mooshoo4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the first one a lot. I love horses and photographing horses and photos of horses! :) i really like #3 too.

6. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree, #4 is the best. It looks great in BW / Sepia

#1 I like shots of horses and cows up close with their head size exxagerated, the animal staring into the lens. A shot I definitely want to get some day (must be in a field, not at the "farm" area in my zoo with clutter in the back). Maybe a bit more of the animals head, but I still like it Cool Shot.

#3 is interesting. I think more DOF on that would look better. And what bout lower? At the level of the lower 2 barbed lines? Not sure, thought it would be interesting to see how that would look.

Looks like you had a rewarding photo walk. Good job!

7. mommy22

mommy22 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love #3. Everything about it.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This one is my fave.

A quick B&W version:
    [​IMG]

9. indeedies

indeedies TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    At first I liked the color in 4 and just thought it would need a different crop. Then KmH made the B&W and now I'm jumping fences lol. KmH has some of the best technique when it comes to B&W. He tried to explain it to me in one of my other posts. Needless to say I'm still practicing lol.

In the first one I would have liked to see the entire ear. I like just half the horse head but the cut off ear is keeping me from really enjoying it. Awesome thought and great exposure though!!

~Shawn~

10. anm90

anm90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow! I love that B&W conversion, KmH! Care to explain how you did it, or provide a link to the post where you told indeedies about it?

I went out and did a reshoot today of the tree and got some different angles. Also got different angles / DOF on the barbed wire fence shot. The sky today was a lot more interesting than yesterday with good looking clouds everywhere. I haven't had a chance to look at the pics I got or even begin PP but I might have them up tomorrow sometime. I think I got some good ones :mrgreen:

11. Hikingman

Hikingman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With the horse's, bring the eye closer, and perhaps use the straight line from the nose to the eyes-angling up from left to right emphasizing (more) on the eye. This would have you more on the left side of the horse's head.

Agree on #4, less trail and a bit closer-possibly a lower angle.

12. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also like #4 and I am sure you will get some other great shots.

I like the concept of the shot with the barb wire. I think you it would be neat if you tried some more shots with that as well.
    Thanks