A few from this morning...

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
#2 is my favorite. I love the motion blur of the wings but the bird is in focus. Really cool. Wow, I just went to flickr to look at it full size and look at the exif information. You shot that wide open? Impressive.

Thanks Ron, I had TC on also so effective f4 420mm. I'm just starting to get the lens figured out, kind of like an old chevy :)

What Ron said plus the head position and expression in #5 are priceless!

Looks like you are starting to get into the Tokina groove already!!!, So, what's it like having that extra f/stop or two? Especially now that the days are getting longer, and the chance for brighter days grows more frequent each day into May? Have you noticed anything 'different'?

Are these ospreys your pets? The way they look at you with the familiarity is amazing.

Looks like you are starting to get into the Tokina groove already!!!, So, what's it like having that extra f/stop or two? Especially now that the days are getting longer, and the chance for brighter days grows more frequent each day into May? Have you noticed anything 'different'?

I was hoping the resident Gear Guru of TPF would chime in.. Lets see, it is a different animal for sure. I am struggling with fine tune for sure, I think the lens has a good amount of front focus and the DOF is so freaking thin.. The lens is best stopped down a stop for sure. One thing I have notice is it over exposes in matrix by .66-1 stop so I have to dial it down for sure. IMHO it renders colors better than the Tamron, I guess micro-contrast? is better. I really like the bokeh it produces although I've seen a few shots with strange rings in the background. Focus speed is pretty good, about the same as the Tamron. The Tamron is easier to shoot for sure and I think the Tamron nails focus more consistently and I hate to say it but the Tamron may be a touch sharper.. I initially struggled because the 3 screws holding the mount in place were a little loose. The Tamron is also easier to hand hold, but in a month my arms will be jacked from the 5# chunk of glass....

Nice shots, Kris. I especially like 2, 4 and 5. I certainly wouldn't have guessed these weren't with the Tammy if I didn't know any better.

Are these ospreys your pets? The way they look at you with the familiarity is amazing.

You didn't know? He's the Osprey Whisperer. ;)

Nice shots, Kris. I especially like 2, 4 and 5. I certainly wouldn't have guessed these weren't with the Tammy if I didn't know any better.

You didn't know? He's the Osprey Whisperer. ;)

He needs a show on Adorama TV! :lol:

If you are using it all the time with the 1.4x converter, the Tamron 200-500 might indeed be a tad sharper. I've never been 100% happy when adding a converter to any lens, really. I wonder how the lens might perform on another body, both in terms of focus, and also in terms of resolving ability and overall imaging. Another thing that "might" be affecting your perceived sharpness could be the unsharp masking routine you are applying to your photos; perhaps the Tokina's images need just a bit less USM than the Tamron's images? I wonder how the lens might perform on a D7100?

Circles? I see a bit of what some call "bright ring bokeh" on bright, out of focus background point sources of light, as seen in the first photo above. I don;t usually find that all that bad, but bokeh is one of the things that changes with the scene and the subject matter.

I actually have been pretty much just using default LR4 sharpening with the Tokina. I think the images just seem more appealing without sharpening. I had to dig for an example, I'm guessing it was from the rain. But it has strange circles... I also can find no almost no info about the lens, but I'm assuming there is no reason to keep the 112mm filter on it? I'm assuming the internal filter is part of the design like the old Nikon 300 f4... It would be interesting to see how it holds up on a newer sensor. I mentioned the front focus and I'm at +20 so there is no place else to go. I think it did pretty good with the Ospreys today...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back