A few HRD Questions Please.

Guido44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danfarinastudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking a trip soon and I wanted to get more info from EXPERTS that enjoy shooting HDRs'.

I noticed in my camera's menu, that there are options for bracketing.
UNDER AUTO BRACKETING SET:
1 AE & Flash
2 AE
3 Flash Only
4 WB Bracketing

I was wondering how you all have the best results. I'll be outside, so I don't think I'll need the flash, but I'm curious to see how you all would use flash, if your trying to get multiple exposures too.

With my G9 I tried a little HDR shooting. I only used 3 photos and simply adjusted the stops manually for each exposure.

I'm taking the manual w/ me to work to study up a bit more.
I'm using the D300, if that matters.

Thanks,

dan

Dan,

I don't use any of those settings. When I want it to auto bracket I just set the number of brackets I want and the bracket EV steps 1EV, 2EV 3EV. etc.

I usually put the camera in Av mode so the DOF doesn't change during the exposures with the only the shutter speed changing.

I would also recommend using the mirror lockup and either the shutter release timer or a remote shutter release all to minimize camera vibration.

Have a good time on your trip and post some images when you return.

Thanks Keith,

I have a remote, and I'll be sure and use it.

Is it common practice to use mirror up for landscape shots? I assumed it was for Macros.

I'll definitely practice before I leave, to see how I much I can improve.

Thx again,

dan

If you are doing HDR photos, bracketing should be done by Auto Exposure (AE) only. The other bracket options are for other situations where you want a range of exposure options (WB for example will vary the color temperature in case you don't trust the camera to get it spot on).

Related question on mirror lockup.

For a D70, the mirror lockup is only for cleaning only? I've looked thru the manual and it doesn't seem like I can lock it up for bulb shots. This is correct?

Most reactions

Back