A few lenses for the 550D with $550 budget

asuperpower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am about to get a Canon 550D and I am wondering what lenses to get. My Lens budget is~$550. Preferably a Macro lens and a standard lens. Currently I have decided on this:
  1. Canon 550D from Digital Camera Warehouse-$719
  2. SanDisk 8GB Ultra II SD card-$34
Current lenses I am considering:
Sigma Macro Lens

Ihttp://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4430.htms there any tool that I could use to make it easier to choose a lens as I am really confused on a Lens to choose. I already have a Panasonic HDC-TM300 although I may take a few HD videos on this 550D occasionally. I decided to go to this forum for answers as I am probably choosing completely wrong lenses.

Often I will be taking photos of Wildlife at Dandenong National Park.

That sigma is more than likely a nice lens but be careful of the "macro" written on it, its not a true macro but has a 2:1 ratio, which to be fair is quite good. For similar or slightly more money you could consider an Image Stabilized lens, the canon 55-250 IS being one choice. Are you getting the kit lens also? If you start at 55mm or 70mm you wont have any options for wider shots. The kit lens is probably 18-55mm and is good for a lot of photos.
If you want a dedicated macro lens that gives you 1:1 magnification it will be fixed focal length, will most likely be super sharp, have a wide aperture but (always a but) may have a slow autofocus which wont be great for other wildlife unless your good at manually focusing IMO

That sigma is more than likely a nice lens but be careful of the "macro" written on it, its not a true macro but has a 2:1 ratio, which to be fair is quite good. For similar or slightly more money you could consider an Image Stabilized lens, the canon 55-250 IS being one choice. Are you getting the kit lens also? If you start at 55mm or 70mm you wont have any options for wider shots. The kit lens is probably 18-55mm and is good for a lot of photos.
If you want a dedicated macro lens that gives you 1:1 magnification it will be fixed focal length, will most likely be super sharp, have a wide aperture but (always a but) may have a slow autofocus which wont be great for other wildlife unless your good at manually focusing IMO
After a little research, I have now found two other lenses. In general, is Sigma and Canon good brands for lenses? I've also changed to another shop.
Camera
50mm Lens
Macro Lens

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2442

After a little research, I have now found two other lenses. In general, is Sigma and Canon good brands for lenses? I've also changed to another shop.
Camera
50mm Lens
Macro Lens

Canon and Sigma both make great lenses. At with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I have a Canon body (550D), Canon 50mm prime, Sigma 17-70 and a Sigma 50-200. With those 3 lenses, I can cover pretty much everything. The only real weakness is low light telephoto as the 50-200 is F/4-5.6, and the 17-70 is really soft at 70mm.

But still, for a grand total of $700 for all 3 lenses, it's a great set for the T2i.

You can't really make a decision about a lens just based on its manufacturer. Canon's got a lot of good ones, as does Sigma, but they also each make some less-than-desirable options as well. Tokina, Tamron, and Zeiss also make some great lenses. Check out photozone.de and lenstip.com for reviews of various lenses complete with measured performance data.

You can't really make a decision about a lens just based on its manufacturer. Canon's got a lot of good ones, as does Sigma, but they also each make some less-than-desirable options as well. Tokina, Tamron, and Zeiss also make some great lenses. Check out photozone.de and lenstip.com for reviews of various lenses complete with measured performance data.
I was just asking whether there are any lens brands that I should avoid.

Canon and Sigma both make great lenses. At with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I have a Canon body (550D), Canon 50mm prime, Sigma 17-70 and a Sigma 50-200. With those 3 lenses, I can cover pretty much everything. The only real weakness is low light telephoto as the 50-200 is F/4-5.6, and the 17-70 is really soft at 70mm.

But still, for a grand total of $700 for all 3 lenses, it's a great set for the T2i.
I still want to get a dedicated macro lens.

Rokinon makes inexpensive, good quality lenses. Only downside though, is that they have no autofocus motor.

The lenses and camera you mention are good choices. I assume so you are getting the kit and the 50 mm prime. I would go for a different macro then. The 60 is fine but macro lenses double up as fine portrait lenses also. You will have a 50 mm prime so I think you may be better to go for a longer macro such as a tamron 90 or Canon 100 or sigma 105 as examples. It just gives you more lens focal lengths and longer macro lenses enable you to stay that bit further away from insects giving less chance of frightening them off. Just an opinion.

Rokinon makes inexpensive, good quality lenses. Only downside though, is that they have no autofocus motor.

That is not the only downside... they also tend toward very heavy distortion.

As stated, the Sigma lens you linked does not have image stabilization... a huge factor if you try to hand-hold at higher focal lengths. I can't say enough good things about the 17-70 Sigma in my bag, and I'm sure for a few more dollars you'll find a good Sigma that will suit your needs.

1. EFs 18-55 IS II
2. EF 50 F1.8 or EF 50 F2.8 Macro.

The first will cover 85% of use and the second give you very sharp pictures. EF 50 F2.8 Macro may cost a little bit more.

1. EFs 18-55 IS II
2. EF 50 F1.8 or EF 50 F2.8 Macro.

The first will cover 85% of use and the second give you very sharp pictures. EF 50 F2.8 Macro may cost a little bit more.

18-135mm is a much better lens than the 18-55mm.

I'd suggest you get a 2nd hand EF-S 60mm USM Macro lens, it is a terrific prime, very sharp even wide open an if you can save up a little more and get a EF-S 18-135 IS for general use. Or you can get both 2nd hand if you can catch some bargains on ebay.

I'd suggest you get a 2nd hand EF-S 60mm USM Macro lens, it is a terrific prime, very sharp even wide open an if you can save up a little more and get a EF-S 18-135 IS for general use. Or you can get both 2nd hand if you can catch some bargains on ebay.
Ok. I'll get the EF-S 60mm Macro Lens as stated before and I'll also save a little more up and get the EF-S 18-135mm IS. Thank you!!!!! :)

Most reactions

Back