Photos OK to edit
No Post editing done here
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

C&C per req:

I'm not sure what you would like critiqued. To be brutally honest, what I see are a group of snapshots shot on auto with no post-processing done (Note, this is not always a good thing; at an absolute minimum, shots like #5 should be leveled). Generally, the exposure is fine, which one would expect from the settings used, however less DoF would have helped greatly. Compositionally, I don't really see any distinct subject, except perhaps in #5 which I feel would have been much stronger from a different angle, say at the bottom of the slide, shooting up toward the child.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:
what I see are a group of snapshots shot on auto with no post-processing done (Note, this is not always a good thing; at an absolute minimum, shots like #5 should be leveled)....

...less DoF would have helped greatly. Compositionally, I don't really see any distinct subject, except perhaps in #5 which I feel would have been much stronger from a different angle, say at the bottom of the slide, shooting up toward the child.

~John

i concur

+1, but I think these were done in manual mode. It's 1/400 and F8 for all of these.

1. Your background absolutly destroys any chance of a decent photograph. An obese woman, weed infested grass, a chain linked fence, people aimlessly wandering the background. To make matters worse, your subject isn't looking at the camera so there isn't even any facial expression. This is just an all around bad shot.

2. I see potential in this shot... but you missed it. You are at too high of an angle, there is too much depth of field, and you can tell that the horizon isn't level.

3. I just don't get it... What is the subject that I am supposed to be focusing on.

4. See #3. And there is way too much sky

5. Compositionally, this is your best shot... but there is much to be is much left to be desired.... most specifically, you can't see his face. Not only is the shirt covering it, but the side view takes quite a bit of emotion out of the shot.

Well there is not much wrong with using auto mode, when it gives you good colour and detail, but I don't really like the framing on these pics. You should always try to photograph kids at there level.

I think the first and last images are the strongest. Both could be improved by cropping.

In the first, you could remove everything to the left of the vertical bar he's holding onto (though, don't cut off his fingers). And in the last, try making a box vertically from the middle bar in the curvy thing above the slide and horizontally across where his legs might be (I hope that was clear).

These crops will cut-out some of the clutter in the back and help put more focus on the subject.

Exif data says auto/portrait. Nothing wrong with auto programs at all. I think if you tried to isolate your subject whether it be one child, a piece of equipment pay attention to what else is in your frame. Because all of the pictures save the last are super busy with extras. The last one where the subject is clearly isolated could have been better if you had shot from the bottom of the slide as mentioned. Next time you take your camera out to shoot watch your composition and Im sure you will receive better c&c.

All of these pictures have the same basic problem: you didn't simplify. Good photography is a subtractive process; it is all about removing distracting elements from a scene, and then choosing what you want to emphasize.

dsc00291e.jpg

dsc0049ih.jpg

There's what I had in mind.
1sdsc00291ej

So to sum it all up, what you are all saying is these photos suck!

Not if you like them. They are YOUR photos.

I also wouldn't say "suck" in a critique. I try to be constructive...

EDIT:

And, photographing kids isn't exactly easy.

Also, "suck" shouldn't be used to describe your own images either (you'll discourage yourself). Photography isn't easy to learn. Some of us have given you useful advice. Just keep it in mind for next time.

PS

"Suck" is just a mean word. Best not to use it at all...

Last edited:
I don't think they " suck" but they do look like snapshots.

Most reactions

Back