Lens: OM-System F. Zuiko 50mm Auto-S
Filter: Hama Sky 1A (LA+10) M62

LionsHeadNew1copy.jpg
LionsHeadNew1copy.jpg

FallIngFinal-1.jpg

BirdBathNewcopy.jpg

FallIngFinal-1.jpg

BirdBathNewcopy.jpg

They need more contrast - IMO a good B+W is one that has pure black, pure white and as many shades of grey inbetween as possible. There's not even close to black which is a shame as the shots look washed out and not crisp.

That said, it's a cool effect on the second shot which reminds me of an old school as movie.

Yeah these prints arent the best. Printing from the dark room is a real pain, however, I believe a lot of great black and white photographs can come from film photography.

Ill try to get a better contrast of black and white next time I print, however right now Im sharing the darkroom with 30+ others, so its a bit difficult to take my time.

There will be more to come soon enough.

Yeah these prints arent the best. Printing from the dark room is a real pain, however, I believe a lot of great black and white photographs can come from film photography.

Ill try to get a better contrast of black and white next time I print, however right now Im sharing the darkroom with 30+ others, so its a bit difficult to take my time.

There will be more to come soon enough.
Community darkrooms can be a real pain to work in, but keep trying. You are certainly correct in your thinking that great B&W photos come from film!

Get your instructor to help you with your contrast issues. Consider your paper type, the freshness and amount of developer in the shared tray, and your exposure times - just for starters. It's very difficult in the beginning, but all of these factors come into play in the darkroom, and are overcome with practice. Also - make sure you use canned air to clean your negatives - you have a couple of "flying snakes" here. ;)

Keep it up! I hope you post some more, it's always a pleasure to see people working in the darkroom. :thumbup:

Thanks for your great input guys, I really appreciate it!

Ill have to talk to my instructor about the canned air technique, I was searching for a good way to rid my photographs of these fantastical creatures which should stay in childrens books. Hopefully I can get my hands on some.

To let everyone know, the next project I will be working on is with shutter speed and I will get some cool traffic shots, as well as a few other ideas. It should be pretty cool.

EDIT: Im really going to try focusing on sharpness (haha..no pun intended). After looking at a lot of photographs in the gallery, I noticed mine definitely lack crispness in them. That should be an improvement factor as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back