A few pictures with my new T1i

Kpablo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I got my new camera, so took it with me for me and my dog's daily hike. Snapped a few pictures, just for practice...not really good IMO I'm still messing with it. I can't get the flash right, I went out around 5 so the sun was going down not the best settings for a newbie. I got a Canon Rebel T1i, EF-S 18-55 IS and EF-S 55-250 mm F/4-5.6 IS. I used the 55-250mm lens yesterday evening.

Anyways, enjoy. I don't have any editing software yet, I'm going to get the Photoshop Elements 8. Some of the pictures I'd like to edit (like my dog's pet eyes), but will have to wait until I get the proper software. Once I edit them, I'll post them again.

Pet eyes
dSLR121709038.jpg

Too dark.
dSLR121709047.jpg

I think it's too dark, too much flash, and the background is a little distracting.

dSLR121709073.jpg

I'm a little bummed no one has commented yet. :(

A friend edited a another picture of my dog, I still think his eyes look funny. If someone could tell me what I can do to avoid this other than not photographing animals at night. I find the reflection on his backpack pretty distracting.

11.jpg

I'm a little bummed no one has commented yet. :(

Well what do you want comments on? You said yourself that you just got your camera, these were practice shots and they didn't come out too nice. They are dark, noisy and used a popup flash.

I'd suggest reading the manual, reading stuff online and aiming at getting good pictures and once you are happy with those picture and think you have something decent, then post that up. Get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson

Personally, I like to comment on pictures, but I ain't going to be commenting on other people's test shots.

Beautiful dog, by the way....

Big, .. . BIG dog.... :lol: Nice doggie...... You say he took you for a walk?

BTW, if you don't have any editing program, GIMP (google that) is pretty good for being free... :mrgreen:

Oh, and don't be dissapointed if you get no response within a couple of hours... not uncommon - this is a workday also... I had a post on another forum that had 106 views ... not one comment. - stuff happens..

r

Ottor, I have GIMP the red eye feature made his eyes look really beady.

Are you planning on using the video feature much? - Just curious, as I often wondered how much owners of cameras that have video function actually use it..

r

Nope....don't plan on using it at all actually. If I am going to video something, I'll get a video recorder.

Kpablo - have a read of the following post, it should help to give you some direction and guidance to posting and getting a more constructive input from the posters - how much info you put up really does make a lot of difference :)
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...r-signatures-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

As for the flash situation try getting some white tissue paper and folding it over a few times to make a pad - then secure that infront of your flashhead using an elastic band. Its not ideal, but it should help to give the light from the flash some diffusion.

Also what mode where you shooting in for these shots. Auto does not generally give such a dark result as you are getting in that second shot.
As for camera manuals - mine sat in my camera bag for about half a year or more when I started- its the best place to keep it (always with the camera) since it means you can check things when you are out in the field and make chances there and then

Kpablo - have a read of the following post, it should help to give you some direction and guidance to posting and getting a more constructive input from the posters - how much info you put up really does make a lot of difference :)
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...r-signatures-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

As for the flash situation try getting some white tissue paper and folding it over a few times to make a pad - then secure that infront of your flashhead using an elastic band. Its not ideal, but it should help to give the light from the flash some diffusion.

Also what mode where you shooting in for these shots. Auto does not generally give such a dark result as you are getting in that second shot.
As for camera manuals - mine sat in my camera bag for about half a year or more when I started- its the best place to keep it (always with the camera) since it means you can check things when you are out in the field and make chances there and then

Thanks for the link and the idea.

Haven't got the manual out yet, but will over the weekend, got a few books too to read. I was just tinkering with the manual setting, I don't believe it was auto at all with these pictures. But I honestly can't recall what I did, like I said just tinkering.

Your first post was at 8:59am and your bummed because in less than a half hour, nobody commented yet? Be patient. I don't see the images anyway. :confused:

Yep, I was bummed, almost 30 people viewed this thread, and NO ONE commented, once?

Your first post was at 8:59am and your bummed because in less than a half hour, nobody commented yet? Be patient. I don't see the images anyway. :confused:

Yep, I was bummed, almost 30 people viewed this thread, and NO ONE commented, once?

If it's any consolation, I posted a photo yesterday in 'Landscape & Cityscape' and I'm still waiting....:lol:

it happens - happens lots infact ;)
I would not let it worry you but I would avoid bumping a thread up unless you have had no comments for a long time or the thread has moved off the first page of the section you posted in. So long as you don't abuse the bumping the moderators don't mind

Also seek out the EXIF data part (its mentioned in that thread I linked you to earlier) and have a look at the settings you used for each shot. If you use Flickr as an upload service the also have an EXIF reader which is quite detailed as well.

I would not let it worry you but I would avoid bumping a thread up unless you have had no comments for a long time or the thread has moved off the first page of the section you posted in. So long as you don't abuse the bumping the moderators don't mind

Also seek out the EXIF data part (its mentioned in that thread I linked you to earlier) and have a look at the settings you used for each shot. If you use Flickr as an upload service the also have an EXIF reader which is quite detailed as well.

I didn't bump this thread for comments, I added an edited picture.

Yes, a friend told me to not use photobucket for pictures, but instead flickr. She also said that it's not ISO noise in the pictures it looks like jpeg compression noise, which could be fixed by using flickr.

Yep. I usually wait at least 24 hours before I post a friendly 'bump'. ;)

Most reactions

Back