a few portraits from the summer

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
help me get better on portraiture. what do you think about these, no post processing at all, i'm kind of proud of that! :mrgreen:

NOTE: i don't own a flash, so i culdn't use any fill flash :(, that's my next purchase though!

DSC_1139.jpg

DSC_1083.jpg

and here's a more recent one:

n1228050078_30018339_4375.jpg

Rather than use a flash to fill, how about a reflector. Still keep some shadow but lighten it with the reflector.

they're nice but the lighting was a bit harsh. that means you have some overexposed highlights and the colours are a bit off. think of the wheat in the second photo, or the skin. they should be a nice golden colour, rather that a washed out yellow...they are in that general direction but would use a bit of colouring. also a bit more contrast would've helped since you're trying to convey, imo, power...

great shot

a reflector is a great idea, do i use just a mirror or something? I have another photo shoot with that girl on wensday, ied like to make the shots awesome.

That 2nd image is great. Nice DOF. His left hand looks a bit tense as does his stance. But other than that, nicely done. Lighting is sweet.

the second one looks like an abercrombie type pic> I think you did a good job. I wish I had a wheat field around here, they always make great pics. I have a cotton field though!!!

the second one looks like an abercrombie type pic> I think you did a good job. I wish I had a wheat field around here, they always make great pics. I have a cotton field though!!!

its not wheat ;) just uncut grass behind this old barn. Thanks for the comment!

No offense, but I don't really see how these are any better than the shots of mine that you trashed last week...especially #3. Not any more creative or technically sound at all.

That being said, #2 is the best of the lot. Would be a nice shot if a reflector was used to bounce some light back onto the left side of his face and he didn't have to squint so much b/c of the sun.

#1: Not really a flattering pose for the model...she looks hunched over and her shirt is poofing out. Definitely need a reflector or fill flash. I would like to see the focus more on her eyes instead of the grass down in front of her.

#3 looks out of focus, dark & the dead limbs hanging in his hair are distracting. It's not an especially interesting location but could probably look better with a shallower depth of field. As is it looks like a snapshot.

This is my constructive criticism, take it or leave it.

No offense, but I don't really see how these are any better than the shots of mine that you trashed last week...especially #3. Not any more creative or technically sound at all.

That being said, #2 is the best of the lot. Would be a nice shot if a reflector was used to bounce some light back onto the left side of his face and he didn't have to squint so much b/c of the sun.

#1: Not really a flattering pose for the model...she looks hunched over and her shirt is poofing out. Definitely need a reflector or fill flash. I would like to see the focus more on her eyes instead of the grass down in front of her.

#3 looks out of focus, dark & the dead limbs hanging in his hair are distracting. It's not an especially interesting location but could probably look better with a shallower depth of field. As is it looks like a snapshot.

This is my constructive criticism, take it or leave it.

thank you.

#1 - Several points stand out. The use of a reflector to brighten the left side of her face. Or since the light is so harsh, maybe a diffuser camera left and fill flash camera right. I would also consider cropping tightly because the shadows of the grass on her arms and legs are not very appealing. Pretty girl though.

#2 - Cropping is in order. Too much sky above his head and too much below. He does appear to be very rigid.

#3 - The limb at his head is distracting and he looks as if he'd rather be elsewhere. The right shoulder and knee are partially blown out by the sun. Possible fill flash may help. Defined focus on the model is not apparent.

One final thought. It could serve you well to read the sticky's for this forum.

1 is too soft
2 is too posed
3 is underexposed

too soft is an opinion, some people like soft portraits. Hence when u put your camera in portrait mode, the pictures usually look softer then in vivid mode. thanks for the comment tho.

Yes soft is an opinion, but don't make yourself feel good by saying "opinion". Portraits generally have softer lighting, sometimes softer focus but mostly softer lighting. the focus is usually not that soft. Don't turn around and say "opinion" when you don't get the critique you like. Oh and if you are setting your camera to portrait mode thats your first mistake. You should only be shooting manual to gain the most control of your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back