A few questions about cameras, formats, and editing

I've had my Canon T3i for a few years, mostly using it for student films, school event photography, beach day with friends, and vacation. I'm starting to use it regularly and trying to learn more, but certain things confuse me...

RAW vs. Large Jpeg... I've read a bunch of places that RAW is best and better for editing. How does it differ in photoshop or lightroom? What is the actual difference between a jpeg and raw file? (and don't just say more data, I want to understand how you can use that data, and don't just say in editing, I need to understand the practicality of it; how do you use it).

More data is what it is all about. If you edit with fewer pixels, you will create more digital artifacts.

Cameras... I have a Canon rebel T3i, but I've been looking at other cameras to upgrade. Is there a website that shows the differences in the cameras? I was looking on amazon and even the canon shop site and they don't say much about the camera other than the name and wordy jargon that kinda sorta says something, but not really. Like for instance, I'm looking at the canon website's specs on the T6 and it says the ISO is 100-6400 (expandable to H: 12800)... what does that mean? The highest ISO 12800 or 6400? since my T3i has an ISO of 6400 why would I change? I'd rather see a list than wordy paragraphs.

You aren't ready to worry about cameras. They are tools. This is about photography. Practice that and get better.

Lastly, for now anyway, for the most part do canon lens work on all models? fro example I want to add to my lens right now, but in the near future... maybe... I might upgrade my camera to a T6 or 80D, will I need to get new lenses?

I don't know. Sorry.

I apologize if this reads as an impatient *****... I'm just tired of reading and reading and only getting wordy circles that express vague details, or details so wordy it loses it's basic information. I also asked a question else where, unrelated to photography. It was a yes or no question and everyone responded with 5 plus sentences and they ended with a negative positive. (for example, I asked, "is it free? yes or no" and they answered with a long paragraph and ended it with say "no, it is free.")

It is impatient. You want experience to come to you instantly. You should know better. Experience comes from practice.

I promise I'm actually a really nice person, and thank you in advance for answering my questions :)

Short and to the point enough for you?

Most reactions

Back