A Few Questions, Greatly Appreciated

ThornleyGroves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi TPF, i have a few questions regarding, what to get.
I am buying a Nikon D90, and i am very interested in sports photography, Thus i would be looking for a lens, ideal to capture, snowboarders in mid air, Footballers jumping for the ball, BMXers doing their tricks, and Animals Pouncing on their Prey. I was just wondering, what lens generally woul dbe best to capture these type of images, would it be 55mm-200mm or 18-55mm or i just really dont know, also i know it is a stupid question but what does 'f' actually mean....
i would greatly appreciate replies

Thank You so Much Tom Thornley Groves:thumbup:

If you want to shoot sports, I would buy a used D300 for the same money as the D90. The higher FPS (frames per second) will help a lot. As far as the lens, you're not going to like this, you really need a 70-200 f 2.8. You can save money by getting the Tamron or Sigma version. They're about $700.00. You need the added speed of the wider f stops.

If you want to shoot sports, I would buy a used D300 for the same money as the D90. The higher FPS (frames per second) will help a lot. As far as the lens, you're not going to like this, you really need a 70-200 f 2.8. You can save money by getting the Tamron or Sigma version. They're about $700.00. You need the added speed of the wider f stops.

Thanks for that, i shall keep it in mind!, out of curiosity what does f mean?

Thanks for that, i shall keep it in mind!, out of curiosity what does f mean?

There is a beginners forum for questions like these. Maybe you could Google it too.

Try this;

"what does f mean"

There is a beginners forum for questions like these. Maybe you could Google it too.

Try this;

"what does f mean"

i know it means the aperture and fragma, or something i just dont understand how the lower the f value the faster the shutter speed, also i know i if i asked on here i would find a more in depth and helpful (specific) explanation, what i think i will do is buy the D90 body, and then buy the sigma 70-200m f2.8 lens along with a 18-55mm nikkor lens!

good idea?

i know it means the aperture and fragma, or something i just dont understand how the lower the f value the faster the shutter speed, also i know i if i asked on here i would find a more in depth and helpful (specific) explanation, what i think i will do is buy the D90 body, and then buy the sigma 70-200m f2.8 lens along with a 18-55mm nikkor lens!

good idea?

Maybe it would be if you were to ask in the appropriate forum.

Read the "BEFORE YOU POST" and see if it fits.

Nothing like giving a warm welcome to a newbie...

Okay, what the one useful response in this thread was reffering to was the maximum aperture of the lens. If you want to shoot sports, you need what we call a "fast" lens, meaning the lens has a large maximum aperture (the hole that lets the light in, the entrance pupil, can go larger than on a cheaper, slower lens). This allows you to use the faster shutter speeds needed to freeze motion (in sports), especially in lower light. He reccomended the 70-200 f/2.8 as opposed to ones you suggested such as the 55-200 f/4-5.6 because it is much faster, and will allow you to freeze motion more effectively all other factors remaining equal. Unfortunately, it is also more expensive... 1,200GBP for the 2.8 as opposed to 200GBP for the 4-5.6. Fast glass is expensive. If you want to shoot BMX, I would also suggest an ultrawide or at least a standard zoom such as Nikon's 18-55 (you'll pretty much need a standard zoom for your everyday photography anyway). I don't really agree with the suggestion to get a D300 over a D90. Everyone I've heard places the D90 equal or slightly better to the D300 in high ISOs and image quality. It's true that you would get a few more frames per second out of a D300, but it's quite an old camera in digital terms now.

Read the Wikipedia articles on aperture, shutter speed, ISO, f-stops, and exposure.

Read the Wikipedia articles on aperture, shutter speed, ISO, f-stops, and exposure.

FFftttt.

Nothing like reinforcing laziness and an inability to read labels and guidlines.

A mod can move this thread into its proper forum, so relax.

All I got this Christmas was 3 sweaters (am I getting old?) and some chocolate, and I'm in more of a Christmas spirit than you. Cheer up!

A mod can move this thread into its proper forum, so relax.

All I got this Christmas was 3 sweaters (am I getting old?) and some chocolate, and I'm in more of a Christmas spirit than you. Cheer up!

So what do you think causes these gentle noobs to ignore guidelines and descriptions and post irrelevant questions in improper forums? Do you think an inability to express themselves will hamper their photographic progress? Will they have to be spoonfed every step of the way? Will this be more of a burden to their peers?

Ah, even more christmas cheer towards a fairly new member. NICE. :thumbdown:

Quick primer. A lower F number means the opening in the lens is larger. Allowing more light to pass through. The more light you let in the faster shutter you can use.

There is a 3 way relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Each affects the other. To get a shot you want, you adjust the 3 for the desired results (or camera computer does if in auto). A lens with a low number (larger aperture) is considered a faster lens because it allows the camera to use a faster shutter or ISO or combination. Faster lenses give you more options over slower lenses.

There are lots of references on the net for learning exposure.

Okay, what the one useful response in this thread was reffering to was the maximum aperture of the lens. If you want to shoot sports, you need what we call a "fast" lens, meaning the lens has a large maximum aperture (the hole that lets the light in, the entrance pupil, can go larger than on a cheaper, slower lens). This allows you to use the faster shutter speeds needed to freeze motion (in sports), especially in lower light. He reccomended the 70-200 f/2.8 as opposed to ones you suggested such as the 55-200 f/4-5.6 because it is much faster, and will allow you to freeze motion more effectively all other factors remaining equal. Unfortunately, it is also more expensive... 1,200GBP for the 2.8 as opposed to 200GBP for the 4-5.6. Fast glass is expensive. If you want to shoot BMX, I would also suggest an ultrawide or at least a standard zoom such as Nikon's 18-55 (you'll pretty much need a standard zoom for your everyday photography anyway). I don't really agree with the suggestion to get a D300 over a D90. Everyone I've heard places the D90 equal or slightly better to the D300 in high ISOs and image quality. It's true that you would get a few more frames per second out of a D300, but it's quite an old camera in digital terms now.

Thank you very much!! Really really helped!!!!

Thank you very much!! Really really helped!!!!

So what do you think. Do you think your hastiness to get an answer to your question has provided benefit to your long term growth? Is rudeness and disrespect an effective and ethical strategy for you?

Last edited:
Ah, even more christmas cheer towards a fairly new member. NICE. :thumbdown:

I'm totally good with it. :thumbup:

How about you?-- Wouldn't encouraging the OP to repost appropriately have been a more proper response?

Does photography mean so little to you?

I'm totally good with it. :thumbup:

How about you?-- Wouldn't encouraging the OP to repost appropriately have been a more proper response?

Does photography mean so little to you?

Actually, I don't see what it hurts to post in a wrong forum. If I am not interested in reading it. I don't. Simple as that. It doesn't use any additional bandwidth in one or the other. If a mod feels its in the wrong place they move it. I think most give a little leeway to new people anyway.

I have also seen people belittled for reposting the same question! Most of the time if someone feels it needs it, they just move them when a mod gets to it.

I would also like to point out I myself and YOU, have broken the same guideline in this forum! Not more than 4 days ago! And yet no one took the time to say we or the OP of the topic was posting in the wrong forum! Nor has the topic been moved!

No, biggie though. Just thought it was a little rude to someone new.

Have a good, and safe holiday.

Most reactions

Back