A few questions with my new Yashica FR

missmercy87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got this camera from a friend, for FREEEE...with a few attachments.

I have the camera, two removable lenses, a winder, and a Vivitar 273 auto thyristor.

I don't know how to use the Vivitar 273, and I cannot find info on how to use it anywhere online. I don't even know how to turn it on or anything. If someone could steer me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Onto the next question....I've been trying to zoom in with both of the lenses that I have, a 52mm Hoya, and a 58mm Hoya (which says Skylight 1B on it). I don't know why it won't let me zoom in without blurring, because the 58mm lens can go out further and it would seem that I should be able to, but I cannot. What should I do about this? Am I doing it all wrong?

And lastly, I want to buy some more pieces for this camera soon, and I don't know for sure if there are specific lenses that I have to buy, or specific brands, etc. Anything that you can tell me on what I can or should get for this camera, please tell me :)

Thank you all very much for reading this :)

MissM

I'd ask your friend to show you how.

Skylight 1B is a filter, not the lens itself, and the movement you describe has me thinking that whichever or whatever lens you have, they are manual focus, possibly aftermarket and if theres two of them, one is probably the standard 50mm and the other a wideangle 35mm, which in the yashica MF days would give you a bit more space for group shots. H

Vivitar 273 manual is on this page. Scroll down to 273.

Onto the next question....I've been trying to zoom in with both of the lenses that I have, a 52mm Hoya, and a 58mm Hoya (which says Skylight 1B on it).
The Hoyas are filters, not lenses.
They screw into the front of the lenses.

I don't know why it won't let me zoom in without blurring, because the 58mm lens can go out further and it would seem that I should be able to, but I cannot. What should I do about this? Am I doing it all wrong?
Depends on what you mean by "zoom in." If you mean "get real close with your lens" it's because
lenses have limits on how close they will focus to a subject. To get closer than that you
have to use either a special close-up lens (called a macro lens) or use other special means.

Last edited:
Vivitar 273 manual is on this page. Scroll down to 273.

Onto the next question....I've been trying to zoom in with both of the lenses that I have, a 52mm Hoya, and a 58mm Hoya (which says Skylight 1B on it).
The Hoyas are filters, not lenses.
They screw into the front of the lenses.

I don't know why it won't let me zoom in without blurring, because the 58mm lens can go out further and it would seem that I should be able to, but I cannot. What should I do about this? Am I doing it all wrong?
Depends on what you mean by "zoom in." If you mean "get real close with your lens" it's because
lenses have limits on how close they will focus to a subject. To get closer than that you
have to use either a special close-up lens (called a macro lens) or use other special means.

Oh, I'm sorry. The first lens is a 50mm and the second, longer one is a 135mm lens.

Do you know which macro lenses would fit on my camera body?

Do you know which macro lenses would fit on my camera body?

Your camera has what is called the Yashica/Contax (Y/C) bayonet mount
aka the Yashica bayonet. Any lens with this mount will fit your camera.

Most dedicated macro lenses are pricey. However, there are lots of
"macro zoom" lenses that are quite inexpensive. These are zoom lenses
with the ability to focus in closer than normal (though not as close as a
dedicated macro lens). These zooms may not be as high optical quality
and may not focus super close but some are pretty good for general
photography. They have many, many brand names. Just look for lenses
with the Y/C mount for starters and go from there.

Try to use Yashica brand lenses if you can. They are generally very good.
There are also some Zeiss brand lenses with the Y/C mount which are
extremely good but quite expensive. Otherwise, popular generic lenses
include Vivitar, Tokina, Sigma, Soligor and others.

Most reactions

Back