A few questions!

RobinCard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, thank you in advance for taking time to read my questions.

I'm from the UK but I'll use US prices to give you an idea of my budget etc.

Firstly I'm thinking of getting the Canon 400D ($800 with a $100 rebate) (I think it's called the Rebel XTi in the states) or the Canon 350D ($600). The 400D is only about $200 cheaper at the moment. So I think it's well worth spending the little extra. But am I wrong in thinking that it's worth the extra for the bigger screen, self cleaning and the other little improvements.

Secondly I'm looking at buying from the US via ebay something like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digit...QQihZ018QQcategoryZ147173QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I can't help but feel that the Lenses supplied will be of low quality. Does anyone know how Sigma compare with the canon kit lenses?

Thank you very much for reading my questions.

Robin

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Robin
I can help you here. I've imported a lot from the US from a guy called Ian Kerr (Kerso)

Contact Ian yourself. I've bought most of my gear from him (mention Jim from Scotland :) ) He's called Kerso on ebay but best to speak direct for better prices. Email him at [email protected]. See also this thread of happy buyers -ttp://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9810&highlight=Kerso (there's an even bigger one on POTN)!!

He imports direct to Scotland and his sisiter ships in the UK so prices are quoted with all VAT and taxes included and they are cheaper than most prices you will get anywhere.

This is a latest price list but you may be able to deals depending on what you buy.

400D is worth it over the 350D. For a new lens, consider the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Better to buy a faster lens that can be used in most lighting conditions.

Hope this helps.

If you need more info, PM me.

Cheers
Jim

Personally, I don't think the differences between the 350 and the 400 matter enough to justify the price difference. The next real step up is the 30d. The self-cleaning doesn't impress me. The screen size question is the one that really matters -- and it's a personal choice. Some folks really really like a bigger screen, other people don't care so much. I'm in the latter category -- to me, bigger would be nice, but I'm not going to pay for it.

The kit lenses are good enough to get light into the camera. But they aren't what you'll want to stick with for very long.

If this is your first serious camera, pick up the ~$100 USD Canon 50mm f/1.8. Use the prime lens and manual settings until you really know what you need in your next lens.

If you're serious about photography, you'll quickly find that the camera body is one of the least expensive bit of gear you're buying. The lenses are where the real money gets spent.

I found the 50 too restricting and didn't enjoy being restricted. It's certainly a great lens for the money and very fast in comparison to most. I'd say everyone should have a 50 in their bag. I eventually upgraded to the 1.4 and it's a better lens but I still find the 50 long when used on a crop body like the XTi and others.

The 30mm focal length would be better to learn with. 30mm gives an effective focal length of closer to the "normal" 50mm f/l.

A 30 is also a good choice.

I do strongly believe that if one's goal is to be a photographer then starting with a prime lens is essential to learning how to compose.

I recommend the 50 largely from a cost perspective. If someone finds that they really don't like this hobby, it's a bit easier to swallow being out a $100 for the 50 than $400 for the 30.

I also don't think that which prime lens is as important as having 1 lens to work with, having it be fast and clear enough to not get in the way of the learning process.

Don't disagree too much with that. I know when I wanted to take a shot and couldn't it was very frustrating though.

Now I have a whole range of lenses to do the job it's much easier!

Tough choice when starting out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back